Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, was hoping someone can help.
I have a 2000 volkswagen polo and have put it for sale as now own a golf.
Yesterday a guy came to view the vechile, was very happy with it. He liked what he saw and gave me a deposit.
On polos the sill has 2 kinda lines opposite eachother. i understand this is common. The guy was nice and is asking for information to do some checks on this.
He wants the v5c serial number, issue date and vin number. Are these ok to give out?
Joe

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
The guy could be honest enough but i think you do have to be carefull these days on the info you give out. Cant you do the check for him?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
As he's been to see the car and given a deposit ,you need to give him all the info he needs on the car.

All he is doing is checking the old MOT's online.

if you don't give him the info he needs on the car it makes out you have something to hide.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
If this car was something like a Range Rover or another high class, high value and desirable car, then I would be wary of giving out that information, especially if it was over the phone say.

But if the chap has seen the car, then I don't think there would be an issue. It's not as though it's the sort of car one would clone and export. He probably just wants to verify the mileage through the old MOT records.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
He'll most likely be getting a HPI check done - you can get a basic one with just the reg number but for them to check everything they need the VIN and V5 number too. The HPI Guarantee only applies if you give them all these.

Jon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the information guys, i was just a bit worried as ive heard bad storied of cloning cars etc and especially as i havent sold a car before didnt know the done thing to do :) Thanks for you time :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts