Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps i was wondering if i could get some advice .

My rear nearside door seems to be out of allignment (i bought it like this)

at first i tought it was front door that was out but looking more closley it seems its the rear-

Posted Image

Posted Image

but looking at drivers door this looks like it has dropped too but hasnt it thy are designed to close at an angle like this-

Posted Image

so before i go loosening hinges etc what exactly do i need to adjust to alter door outwards at the bottom and inwards at the top?-

Posted Image

thanks for any help in advance!...

rob...

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,041 Posts
I'd say that that is your front doors that are out of alignment, rather than the rear. Looks to me like they've dropped: my fronts don't have that much of the rubber seal showing, and they certainly don't close at an angle like that.

What made you think it was the rear door, out of curiosity?

Do you know if the previous owner/dealer had to have the doors off for any reason?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1st pic is the front door on left side

if you look at the bottom of front passenger door in first picture its the rear door thats off unless my eyes are decieving me lol ,and as i said the drivers door closes and seals no problem thats why i says they designed like that.

doesnt really solve my problem of adjusting either the front or the back door....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi thanks for replies.

i know doors look like they have dropped but they are not properly closed in pictures they actually both close ok apart from passenger side which i mentioned above sits a few mm out at the bottom which you can see in the pic the door is closed properly in that pic.

im sorry if this getting confusing lol.

in the link above to another post it mentions putting trolley jack under door , i think i might go this route but if im wrong then there is no way back lol.

rob

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
Hi Mate,

As said above, looks like the front doors are wrong, not the rears. The hinges are prone to sinking and this can easily be sorted by a decent bodyshop for little cash. Another thing that makes me think the front doors are the culprits is that, in your pictures, you can see the rear doors sit properly in line with the cills, whereas the front doors are set back too far at the bottom.

Wigster.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well thanks guys i finally got a 2nd round with the door today with all your info and got it fixed, it actually needed adjusting in two areas-

1. the door had actually sunk a little causing it to touch the back door at the top corner when opening or shutting, so tried the trick with trolley jack first and worked [Y]

but still left the bottom sticking out slightly so adjusted the top hinge of front door and that got fixed too [:D]

so big thankyou to the forum and replies for saving me a possible fortune and tbh im more glad it didnt go wrong rather than fixing it lol so bit of a bonus repairing too ,you can never beat the feeling of repairing something yourself lol owe u all one

the finished article-

Posted Image

Posted Image

my home made tool to get into hinges lol-

Posted Image

1 - 10 of 10 Posts