Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i'm new to this forum so just wanted to ask a few questions.

I've just got a new MK5 1.6 FSi Golf and have been really impressed with it so far. Naturally though, I want to do a couple of mods to it.

Are there any cheap, basic mods that can get me going from the off? Any airbox mods or the like?

I'm also going to want to tune the engine in the future. Is the 1.6 fairly tuneable? Are there any good VG tuners round the North West?

Thanks.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sorry I can't help with the mod questions, but welcome to the forum.
Welcome !

I don't know alot about the normally aspirated cars, try the superchips website, you are probably looking at a gain of about 10bhp if they do a remap for you.

If I were you I'd just add some nice wheels and leave the engine as it is for now as the gains per pound spent are not great and by all accounts the 1.6 is pretty good as standard.

Enjoy your car [:D]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thanks for the replies.

Yeh, i'm defo going to go for some new wheels, fancy the GTi ones or the R32 ones.

I suppose you're right about the engine mods, superchips do a remap at ?240 which only adds 6BHP [:(]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

I've just got a new MK5 1.6 FSi Golf and have been really impressed with it so far. Naturally though, I want to do a couple of mods to it.

Are there any cheap, basic mods that can get me going from the off? Any airbox mods or the like?

I'm also going to want to tune the engine in the future. Is the 1.6 fairly tuneable? Are there any good VG tuners round the North West?

Thanks.
Welcome to the elite few of us on this forum who decided to buy a petrol-engined Golf MkV. I have had mine for 16 months now and am very pleased with it.

With my driving style and general usage, I've not managed to get less than 40 mpg using superunleaded petrol although I believe now, according to the brochures printed, that 95 RON is supposed to be recommended as the 'standard' fuel to use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks.
Welcome to the elite few of us on this forum who decided to buy a petrol-engined Golf MkV. I have had mine for 16 months now and am very pleased with it.

With my driving style and general usage, I've not managed to get less than 40 mpg using superunleaded petrol although I believe now, according to the brochures printed, that 95 RON is supposed to be recommended as the 'standard' fuel to use.
Hi, thanks for the tips.

So is superunleaded a much better than unleaded then? I hadn't really considered it to be honest. Where would I get 95 RON from?

One thing I love about the MK5 is the gearbox, short-shift changes, six gears and chrome knob and surround, awesome.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

Thanks.

Hi, thanks for the tips.

So is superunleaded a much better than unleaded then? I hadn't really considered it to be honest. Where would I get 95 RON from?

One thing I love about the MK5 is the gearbox, short-shift changes, six gears and chrome knob and surround, awesome.
95 RON petrol is your ordinary regular premium petrol that practically everyone uses in their petrol cars!

I use superunleaded because it has a higher RON, say, >98 RON and thought, initially, that my FSI engine would benefit from its use - a lot about this has been discussed on these forums. However, to date, I have only used one tankful of regular premium petrol as the rest of the time I have been, apparently, wasting my money on Shell's Optimax, BP's Ultimate etc.

I like my 6 speed gearbox as well and do a lot of block changing as there seems to be a gear for every occasion thus obviating the need to laboriously change from 1st>2nd>3rd>4th>5th>6th and back again.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Good to see another 1.6 driver on-board, had mine for 6 months now and really love it, fantastic car even if it is lacking in power somewhat.

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks.

Hi, thanks for the tips.

95 RON petrol is your ordinary regular premium petrol that practically everyone uses in their petrol cars!

I use superunleaded because it has a higher RON, say, >98 RON and thought, initially, that my FSI engine would benefit from its use - a lot about this has been discussed on these forums. However, to date, I have only used one tankful of regular premium petrol as the rest of the time I have been, apparently, wasting my money on Shell's Optimax, BP's Ultimate etc.

I like my 6 speed gearbox as well and do a lot of block changing as there seems to be a gear for every occasion thus obviating the need to laboriously change from 1st>2nd>3rd>4th>5th>6th and back again.
Ha ha oops, sorry about that. I'll try both and see what's better in terms of MPG.

Tom, car is looking good. What are the mods you have done to it? Any other pics?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Votex kit, Lowered 50mm, 18" RS4s, GTI steering wheel, Light smoke tints, Kamei grille to name a few mods off the top of my head. Also got quite a big system in there now.

In the process of getting my front bumper smoothed out, then it's a Caractere rear bumper & Exhaust.

Tom

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Welcome to the 1.6 FSI Club

Not much point in trying 2 get power gains in it imo

But its "quite quick" for a 1.6 [:D]

·
Registered
9 Posts
apparantly the most important thing is the juice is sulphur free or low sulphur which all uk unleaded is. this is what reduces fuel consumption. the differences to 98ron is marginal next to the price. here in ireland, i find that the mothers new 1.6fsi runs smoothly on 95 ron. i havent tried 98 as they dont sell it here.

my mums fuel consumption started off on the wrong foot,. but its improving with every kilometer covered. i think the motor is very tight in the beginning.

apparantly vw underate the 1.6fsi and it really puts out 125bhp , it is by no means a slow car. a superchips remap is a waste of time imho, in that ul compromise something else. its a complex engine, leave it on vws default map.

enjoy it in good health!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Hello & welcome.

I was running mine on super-unleaded but for the last six months or so have also been using 95/regular fuel - I've not noticed much difference. Fuel figures slightly worse at about 38mpg average but that may be due to the cold weather as much as anything.

I'm really happy with the car overall.

I'm not a big one for mods but I doubt there is much gain to be made from chipping a normally aspirated engine unless it is a de-tuned version like the MINI ONE engine.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, thanks for all the replies guys, definatley giving me some ideas.

I've been a Vauxhall man all my driving life, Novas, Astra, Corsa....never been near a VW in my life, so it makes a refreshing change. I'm still at uni, so my next car is definatley going to be a hot hatch when I qualify. I had my heart set on the VXR but now i'm swaying towards the GTi. I can only think of the MK5 with more power as truly awesome.

It's funny that you say that MrG as I was looking at Superchips' webstite and they haf the 1.6's max power as 125 before it was re-maped.

·
Registered
34 Posts
tom_mk5

have you got some more pictures of your car?

Where did you get the rs4's ? They are in my top3 for alloys :) Im still not sure yet!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeh, Superplus should help, especially if you are running a steady motorway type drive as it allows the engine to run in the more efficient FSi mode about 20-40% more of the time (there was a post somewhere about it!). However, if you are stop- starting, with a load on the engine, it probably wont use this mode anyway.

Even with a normal engine, you should expect better economy, but add in the Fsi and this should increase.

In terms of the fuel, the improvement is supposed to be exponential not linear in terms of the increase in Ron ( though it is measured at basically idling speed of a modern engine!).

Most surveys have shown a BHp and Torque increase with the fuels, for the 2.0ltr Fsi, Evo registered +4Bhp (or+7 with 99ron), and and extra 7lb/ft.

So use super and you should probably be expecting a slight improvement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts