Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I have just bought a golf as a second car, but I think it is mor elikely to be my main one - I love it!

And I have got a handfull of questions, so I hope I have come to the right place.

How do I make the alarm beep when I enable/dissable it?

How do I tell if the alarm is working? the switch by the driver sill is broken and glows red

Anybody know the route the rear washer pipe takes - it doesent wet the rear screen, but wets the ground by near side rear wheel!

is the stereo (std cassette/6cd) volume resoponsive to ambient noise?

Are the stereo and climate control dispaly lights meant to come on all the time ? or only when side lights are on.

What is normal configuration of dash? Mine is cup holder, radio/cassette, then the 6CD, then the climatic. But I think I have seen variations.

I need some bits of trim too.

Going to have a brouse round now -

Thanks for reading

Ian

·
Registered
390 Posts
The pipe has proberly disconnected under the washer bottle. Mine popped off the other day. I had to remove the fuel filter to get to the joint. There pretty useless connections. Another place to look for a leak is the joint around the top of the nearside B pillar. When I purchased my car it had become disconnected there to. It also can disconnect where it joins the rear wiper motor which in turn leaks onto the boot lock micro switch which in time ruins that. Mine was also leaking on the actuall connector to the motor and this part isn't replaceable so I had to get a new motor. ?20 from VW breaker.
My dashboard lights ony light up when side lights or headlights are on
Alarm chirp can only be activated using vag tacho I beleive along with - miles to empty- anti highjack- auto windows. I will stand corrected though.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Rear wash wipe is probably split where the tailgate joins in the top left corner.

Radio volume increases with speed, you should be able to set how much if at all in the options.

Alarm beeps needs to be done with VAG com software and laptop

The switch by the driver sill is to turn off the sensors if you leave a child/dog in the car

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum, regarding the volume, thats the GALA function, I think if you hold down the TP button for a few seconds you can go through the menu and turn it off (to zero) of you want. As for the alarm, the button glows red all the time and is only used to disable the internal sensors, if you wanted to leave a dog/child in the car. Press it once then lock the car, internal sensors should be off. Sit in the car and test it!

HTH
Carl

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - youv'e been very helpful, I will have a tinker around tomorrow.

The switch on the sill is actually broken, just glows red. I don't know how to tell if the alarm works at all. I locked the car with the remote, then opened the boot with the key, and the alarm didn't go off.

I checked out VAGCOM, it is 200 pounds! is there another way of configuring the convenience/comfort settings?

Just noticed the boot doesn't lock with the remote, I cant here it click when the other solenoids click either. How do I know if it is dissable in comfort settings or if there is a mechanical fault (servo?)

When should the cam belt and tensioner be done? - I'm on 75k and not a hint of a replacement it in the service history! Now feels like a good time perhaps!

Ian

·
World's Laziest Wheel Refurber
4,020 Posts
Welcome [Y]

Need some [^^]

There are a load of people on here with VagCom who can probably help you out. Some will do it for beer tokens, others gratis [Y]

The cam belt should generally be changed every 5years/50,000ish miles I think [:cool:]

HTH [Y]

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You need Vag Tacho for the alarm beeps and so on,Vag com is for the rest of the car engine diagnostics and other stuff [:D]

As said above they`ll probably be someone on here that will do it for beer tokens

And i`m sure its 4 years or 60k which ever comes first for the Tdi cj [Y]

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll post up some pictures as soon as I can. I can't get my avatar icon to change though, even with small jpg.

My first car is an old Honda CRX VTEC, 150k miles, and 20 years old. Still goese like a rocket, but now I want to preserve it by sharing milage with a second car - hence the Golf - the only 4 seat car I actually like! I'll post some photos of the honda too.

I'll get cam belt/tensioner done asap then!

Car went in to limp mode twice since I got it (in 3 days!) was fine today.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
beep CAN be done on vag com. if you were closer i would do it for you. there are loads of bods on here that can do it for you as said. vag tacho you can get your miles till empty, lit needles and a few other things done if you have IMMO3 clocks.

The CRXs are lovley motors. my mate has a del-sol that i took the pee out of till he let me tare it about and i was shocked!! that little Vtec screams its nuts off and goes like the clappers. I hes now selling it for parts if you need any engine bits or indeed another engine. etc... (shameless plug)

welcome to the forum mate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome to forum!

Another handy tip for locking the car without enabling the alarm is to press the lock button twice.

I'm currently having problems with limp mode at the moment. You got the dreaded engine emissions light on?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the welcoming messages! You sound like a good bunch!

I'll put my queeries in separate posts from now on - is this the right forum room?

No, I don't have the emissions light thankfully,

I have heard diffeing views of the double-lock on the remote - some say it does a dead-lock, some say it turns off the alarm. I'll put this in a new post.

I want to verify the alarm actually works somehow, I haven't heard it go off, even when opening the boot with a key.

Thanks again for making me welcome here!

oh, and my CRX is older than the del sols - it is the original hatch back shape, still fast and nippy. So spares from your mates del-sol won't be much help, but thanks for mentioning it!

Ian

·
Registered
165 Posts
Welcome to the forums mate!

I've got pretty much the same car as you and as far as the alarm goes I'm not sure how to see if it's on past the blinking lights on each door!

But I did leave the door open by accident once and my work colleage ran in scared cause she'd shut it and the alarm was going off all crazy like, I'm not sure on the specifics but she obviously made the car feel like it was being touched indecently. If someone could shed a light on why it went off maybe we could test your car?

Harry

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts
Hi mate, im sure cambelt intervals are 60k so probs get it done asap!

and my button on the drivers door sil is always lit up red also, but i just sat in the car, locked with remote, then you have you wait about 30 seconds and just flap your arms around to see if alarm goes off, if it doesnt then the sensors are off obviously. and also same with the alarm from the outside i cant find a way to make my alarm go off either. ive tried opening doors and the boot and rocking the car but no luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts