Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, only found your forum a couple of days ago. Looks very good and imformative.

I live in Tasmania, an island below Australia and have owned Golfs since 1977. I got my Mk5 GTI last November. Tornado red with Interlagos trim. Fantastic car! Have done the APR reflash with the full APR Stealth exhaust and Carbonio CAI.. Brilliant performance especially early on these cold winter mornings here at the moment.

I look forward to interacting on your forum, and sharing our passions, that being late Golfs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

[:D]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, look forward to my time on the forum. Got stacks of piccies too, including a couple from the local racetrack. Thanks for the welcome, Andrew[:D][:D]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I have always had ambition to get over there to check out GTI international.A couple of us drool over the photos in the English mags after the event., we subscribe to VW Motoring & Volkswagen Driver mags so we recieve them 5 days after they are released over there which is excellent. Otherwise Performance VW and Golf + reach our newstands about two and a half months later!!!

Done a lot of sealed rally work and racing in a twincam Mk1 Golf over the years but I am having a year or two off to enjoy my new GTI. Had a really neat 2000 Mk4 1.6 before this. Might dig out some photos of this car.

All of our Mk5s are assembled in Africa, are any of the Mk5s over there the same?

Cheers, enjoy your day! [:D]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot for the welcome rawtor51 and bigbird! Much appreciated for the friendliness.

Love my Golfs. Have got 3 Mk1s, including an English GLI cabrio. Also have a Mk3 GL. I had a 1.6 Mk4 with wheels, Konis and Eibachs. Was a great car but a bit slow. Didn't get caught speeding in it but have copped a fine since getting the GTI.

Great looking TDI rawtor with the Audi wheels.

Bigbird, you have a R32? Only 2 sold down here in Tasmania. One, a blue one has been for sale down here for 5 months. Everyone has thrashed it! $48000 Aust. Great car though.

Do you know Hobart? Have you been here? We have a large event here every April, Targa Tasmania. 6 day road rally round Tas, usually up to 250 cars from all eras compete in it. Great roads here, lots of windy fast roads with fast stuff mixed in. Aust driver, Jim Richards has won it 9 times in different Porsches. Your great Murray Walker has competed in it and rates it as one of his best weeks ever!

I competed against Win Percy in a 3 day rally in 2003. He finished 5th whereas we finished 8th in a Mk1 Golf after collecting 3 guide posts in one stage!

Anyway thanks guys and cheers, Andrew [:D]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gooday Gaz, or probably good evening over there! Thanks for the welcome mate, much appreciated. Anni GTI, we didn't get em here but have read all about them in your English mags. Thats how a friend and I decided on getting the Mk5 GTIs, reading English magazines. That and the report on Top Gear. There are only 7 Mk5 GTIs down here as supply is so slow. Same over there too I read. We ordered ours in May last year, I got mine in mid November and my friend got her white DSG mid December. We were the first to order after the release

More photos under the Mk5 engine & exhaust, APRd title.

Cheers to you, Andrew

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Hey Andrew welcome to uk-mkvs.net - we've a few Australians on here, so join the club [:)]

GTIs are starting to get more common over here, although I rarely see them unless I'm on a fair old journey somewhere - The Rs are still fairly rare mind [:)]

All the GTIs over here are Wolfsburg made - I'm fairly sure that's the case with all of the Euro GTIs so nothing from South Africa [:)]

Look forward to your threads n'stuff matey - enjoy [h]

C

PS - a trip over for Inters would be one hell of a mision - shame you'd not be able to road trip it [:(]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a lot CkB for the kind welcome.

I emailed Volkswagen Australia about the wait for the GTI and was told that Africa produced the GTI for the WHOLE universe! I knew that was rubbish, but thats what you get, eh! I thought I read in one of the English mags that VW were going to source some from Africa to speed up the delivery in England?

Way back in 1976 VW Aust assembled Mk1 Golfs but in 77 started importing them from Germany and the difference in build quality was "chalk and cheese". I wonder what the difference is these days between the factories.

I am extremely happy with my Golf, as I was with my German assembled Mk4. The Mk5s paintwork isn't as good but the build quality is excellent.

Once again, thanks for all the kind welcomes, I will be getting my old Mk4 in my workshop tommorrow so I will get some photos and put them on this great forum very soon. Cheers CkB, Andrew

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Most welcome Andrew. By the sound of your collection, I can see a phat post in Members Ride going from your MK1 through to the current - how about it when you get time?? [:D]

C

PS - if you're wondering why I'm the only person up at this ridiculous hour over here, I'm on nightshift (my last one ever!!! [h])

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That would be no problem at all but am I allowed to post piccies of Golfs earlier than Mk4s.

I have a 76 Golf that I compete in everything from motorkhanas, hillclimbs, sealed road rallies to full circuit racing, have hundreds of photos of that car (Gunter!)

Have had an 87 English import Mk2 GTI,plus .........the list goes on

Might bore you! Would love to do Targa in the Mk5 but couldn't bring myself to fitting the cage ect. plus convincing the missus might be very hard!

You see a lot of expensive cars get thrown into the countryside (and trees) in that event. The Porsche museum sends a couple of cars out each year with class drivers. Walter Rohrl comes to mind. There was an R32 in the event 2 years ago but the guy admitted he didn't have the balls to drive it to its limit!

Once again cheers CkB. (gotta love your avatar!!)

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Heh, a few of us did the Nurburgring at the beginning of the month over in Germany - what a monster, but it was awesome none the less, not just the fun but some of the cars going around it - there's a post in track days with a fairly good synopsis on it if you want a butchers!

As for the older cars, shouldn't be any problem - I'm sure I've had someone else do a Golfs Through The Ages kinda thing as well - go for it. If one of the Mods does moan (seriously doubt it) just blame me, I'll take the ass kicking [h]

As for the avatar, it's due another change - as soon as I get my Germany pics uploaded, it'll turn into one of the car in the fields with their MASSIVE hay rolls [:D] Cheers for the nice comment tho dude [y]

What's the Targa - local track of some sort I presume??

C

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey! I check out Ben Lovejoys nurburgring daily. No joke! Play it regularly on the PS2. What an awesome track! Love it tho it looks like a lot of people come unstuck there, specially bikers. You are lucky to have been there. The awesome cars that get there would be fantastic to see. Might have to plan a trip over to GTI ints next july and do a trip to Germany. All my friends will vouch for the fact that I go on about the ring constantly and how I want to go there. Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson in the deisel Jag was funny in his story going around the ring, specially when Sabine took over and showed him how to do it! Did you do some laps? Some of the Golfs would be good to watch too I reckon.

Targa Tasmania is based on the old Targa Florio which was held around Italy/ Sicily? The cars date from early 1900s thruogh to the moderns. You name the cars, they have competed in it. There is a local that has a factory supported Lambo something(?) 4wd twin turbo trying to beat one of Australias best driver, Jim Richards who always has the latest best Porsche offering. He has won 9 times I think. The event goes for 6 days covering 2,500 Kms of our fantastic roads down here. Of course the special stages are held on closed roads. Its an awesome spectacle seeing these cars being driven as they were designed to be driven, flat out! VW entered an RSI beetle one year but a couple of offs didnt help, tho it was fast (when it was on the road!) I spent half of one night helping to straighten the rear beam on the thing after the driver slid sideways into a gutter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gooday Tam, Thanks for the compliments mate. I will post a couple of photos tomorrow. Got my old Mk4 in the workshop tomorrow so i'll get some pics of that too. It's super clean still as the new owners baby it! Just hope I get away with the earlier models. My competition Golf made it into your English "Retro Cars" mag in June 04. Bit of a shock to see us in an English mag. It made it into 2 Australian mags after a spectactular 3 wheel off in a rally where we finished 8th outright!

Cheers, Andrew

1 - 20 of 21 Posts