Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, we have just completed our transformation from BMW to VW Golf's as I have today purchased a red MKIV Golf GT Tdi 130 to go with our black MKV GT Tdi 140 :)

im hoping to learn about these cars (experience so far is all good) and start doing some of my own DIY.

I could really do with finding a good Indy VW mechanic in my locality (the local main dealer is not v nice at all) and a good source for spare parts nearby.

My first issue to deal with is the key blipper for the MKV has stopped working and I've changed the battery on it but that didn't help at all :(

Looking forward to chatting with you all :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey man get some pics up. We all love a tidy red mk4

Can't help with anything local as im a bit of a way out

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote user="GTiJON"]

Hey man get some pics up. We all love a tidy red mk4

Can't help with anything local as im a bit of a way out

[/quote]

thanks v much, I've just got back from having picked it up so ill pop some pics up tomorrow.

The previous owner had it professionally detailed, no idea how ill keep her that clean

·
You ain't seen me, right?
3,778 Posts
welcome along

·
Registered
377 Posts
Welcome bud I'm from Birmingham so fairly close. I would say get some pics up but I haven't put any up of mine yet :) see you about. Tim

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks v much for the kind welcome chaps, ill pop some pics up in the next day or so.

my initial plan is to change the grill to a black one rather than the body coloured one but the bonnet catch removal has me stumped a little so time to do some digging :)

I've also been thinking about a change of alloys as mine has the 15" styles but I'm not sure what size I can go up to without having to change the suspension and I don't want to compromise the ride too much, a touch harder will be okay but I don't want to be sitting on a plank of wood LOL

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you're lowering i would say 17's for optimal comfort but 18's aren't overly harsh.

If you are running coilovers then front would need spacing 5mm to get wider wheels on, otherwise they rub. Get some piccies up!

Lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
'Thanks, :)

I'm really the torque on tap although the turbo lag makes me laugh (I guess I'm a little older these days so it doesn't bother me too much).

The thing I find odd is how disconnected the steering feels but I suppose coming from a BMW I should have expected less feeling.

Is like to tighten up the driving feel so maybe some eibachs need to go on and yes that gap needs filling but I'm not sure what is needed it I go for 17"s'

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yea the mk4's handle like poo, my bora feels like a right boat. Crap myself at the bends on the duel carriageway lol.

Lowering does help with that a lot.

What ya mean not sure what is needed if you go for 17's?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
'I mean if I go for 17's or 18's do I need to replace springs and shocks to get a good fit in the arches or will a straight swap make it sit high like w tractor.

I'm guessing an eibach kit would be a good start point. On bmw's its commonplace to change bushes for polybushes to stiffen the ride, is it the same on a mk4 golf?

I nearly bought some 16" Montreal styles but figured is best do some research first :)'

·
Registered
414 Posts
You could stick 19's on and it will still look like a tractor

Few people polybush but end up reverting back to upgraded oem bushes cos of the harsh ride. VRS rear beam bushes etc.

Never tried it but lot of people report polybushing dogbone mount makes engine vibration unbearable so run a half polybush half oem system.

Most on here run JOM coilovers, i used to have them on my golf but yet to lower the bora. With the JOM's i needed 5mm spacers up front to stop rubbing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.