Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just getting some parts together for when I get a hybrid turbo put on and Ive come to high flow exhaust manifolds. Been looking at the Ths and Atp ones for just over 200 pound when I read somewhere that the original one on my agu can just be ported, polished and it will flow just as well. Is this true and is it cheaper? Does anyone know anywhere around bedfordshire that I could get it done? Any help please would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
is this for K03/s fitment?

if so i fitted an ATP and saw no change in how the car drove at all and when removed 18months later it had cracked worse than the standard one i removed.

wouldn't bother myself, the port size and finish aren't perfect on standard manifolds but the worst bit of them by far is the collector. because of the poorly designed collector you get massive heat build up and poor flow at high revs, unless a manifold has a much better collector like a tubular item then its pretty much pointless changing it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it is for the k03/s, cheers bengie wont bother with the atp then will have a look at some tubular ones and check out some of bills threads

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
see bills threads and pics to show the difference, miles better than oem.
so if bill says its good thats all you need? what are you basing your "miles better than oem" on exactly?

i can tell you for a fact that i saw no gains in power, torque or spool on dyno runs from before and after fitment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
apologies for not responding sooner, the bit about better than oem is once Bill has ported/polished the oem manifold it flows better so it is better than when it left the factory.

so - oem modified is the way to go. still cant find the bloody thread so i can post a link up for you.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
notice he doesn't mention what the real world gains are at any point, infact he simply ignores the questions about the subject. complete waste of £100 i feel, put it towards a tubular top mount manifold with a T28 flange [:)]

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers salsheikh thats looks interesting defo something to consisder. bengie have you got anymore info on these manifolds cant really find alot on google about them for vw. Any pictures and where I could but one from, thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
they aren't cheap mate and as far as i know you won't get one with a K03/4 flange, only IHI or garrett. you can buy them from JBS, primary designs(very expensive), tig-art to name some off the top of my head. don't be shocked at £1,000 for a manifold that you then need a custom downpipe, water lines, oil lines and turbo inlet for as you will have to go for either a garrett or IHI turbo as already mentioned.

this option is for serious tuning, its not cheap but it can be done cheaper if you shop around and buy sensibly.

for a total outlay on parts and labour to the power and inprove my drivetrain to cope with the extra power i will have spent about £6500 to get mine to hopefully around 340bhp, i have seen people walk into tuners and pay 20k for the same result. the difference being i have bought some parts second hand, had friends help with some labour and shopped around for the rest over a couple years or so.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for the info, a thousand for one [:O]. Well im only gonna put in a hybrid for around 270 bhp so I dont think its worth it for me, plus the mrs would have a fit!

Well looking at the jbs one think thats a happy medium for me. Hope your taking pictures of your build would be good to see them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts