Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi People!

Brand new on here and hoping you can offer me some guidance on buying a V6 4motion golf.

I've been to see a couple so far but haven't really gone armed with any real knowledge on what to look for tbh but at least i've now got something in my head to judge others against.

I'm after a five door, got a budget of up to 4k and i'm not fussed about the colour so long as it hasn't been resprayed in a dodgy show flip flop type paint! I would obviously prefer as low a mileage as poss but if the engine's are good for high milers then i may be tempted by something thats done around the 100k mark so long as it's been looked after.

So.. what should i be looking for? Any help or directions to useful threads will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Russ

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi and welcome.

There are plenty of people on here with far superior knowledge than myself so I will just mention the basic of check servicing history and make sure the haldex has had all of its servicing

Good luck with your search

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris, the Haldex service is definately one of the items i'll be checking for. Both cars i've seen so far had their service books showing that the haldex oil filters had been done at around 40k but both were just ticks in boxes and there were no notes or receipts to back up the service… In some instances I suppose you just have to trust the book and the seller?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yeah, which is never a good position to be in, I'm just looking to get it serviced having only had it since april and it says that the haldex was done twice in the space of two years (box ticked in service book), whereas i believe it is supposed to be every 4 years of 40,000 which it has not done so I am going to see what the garage think and if it is worth just getting it done, could do without paying for that too

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thats kind of where other long standing owners or the ones with the better knowledge than me need to step in, i've only had mine 9 months so not too experienced in faults yet, i've had 2 mk4's before this one and they do get faults, but i think all cars do, its not until you join somewhere like this that the knowledge really starts to show what the car is like.

I have had some, but it is a 10 year old car at the end of the day, my god it sounds amazing though

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome, have you considered a Bora 4mo? Had mine for just over 3 years and its been great. Don't use it much now though, only once or twice a month.

They sound great and 4mo comes in real handy when it snows!

Could be tempted to sell mine, it only done 55k on a 2001/51 plate.

Anyway good luck with your search

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Drop Phill at PW MOTORSPORT a call as he has 2 in stock

one on an 03 plate 5 door in silver with around 100K on it and 1 in black on a 2000 X plate in black for about 2.5K and just 88K on the clock

Good luck in your hunt for a car

Andy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts