1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there all,

i am just wondering if anyone has any ideas why my car has got a
misfire or hesitation when it is driven straight after started up in
the morning or at night when going home.

it only lasts less than a minute around the 2000 rpm area then after that it is ok.

is it the dreaded maf ??

any help much appreciated.

joec

p.s 1.8T aum and remapped.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sounds very similar to mine, I cleaned the throttle bodies on the weekend but haven't driven it since to know if the problem has been cured.  Last time it happened I gave them a quick squirt with carb cleaner and it worked for a few weeks but the problem can back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got the exact same problem - Would love to know the cure!

Mines is due it's 80K service, so hoping that'll sort her....

·
Registered
46 Posts
mine is the same aswell, it,s not the maf and i,m just about to change the plugs! have you all got performance filters on as i think it might be to much cold air when the engines cold!

·
Registered
752 Posts
...mines also got this problem, start the car from cold, and it hesitates and is a real pain to drive for about a minute or so, then it's perfectly fine. I had my MAF replaced under warranty in Jan05..

this has always been the case since I got the car second-hand and year and a half ago.

oh, and my AUM 1.8T is completely standard.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do you get a slight jerk sometimes when going onto the power in 1st or 2nd ? ,.. I had this,. problem went away after cleaning the throttle body and running a throttle body alignment with VAG-COM.

·
Registered
46 Posts
yeah thats the 1 but it seems like a misfire to me, but thanks for that i,ll clean my throttle body and see how it goes, what did you clean it with?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have just spoke to star performance on the phone and jim says that it
is most probably the coolant temp sensor. a common fault he says and
can be purchased from the stealers at around 20 - 30 quid.

·
Registered
195 Posts
yeah thats the 1 but it seems like a misfire to me, but thanks for that i,ll clean my throttle body and see how it goes, what did you clean it with?
I didnt actually use anything other than a cloth and some cotton buds.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have had the same prob for a while now these are the things i have done or replaced.
New Lambda sensor. (only one for me)
New Coolant sensor.
New Coil Packs.
New pluigs.
Cleaned throttle body.
And believe it or not the f*!!??** thing is still there, the only thing that has made a real difference was when i changed my iridiium plugs back to stock which cured the prob for about a week.
Also the colder the weather the worse it seems to be.

Help

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mines the same. If I leave it to warm up for a minute before pulling away its ok. Seems to be when the automatic choke is on and its idling at about 1100rpm, when its run a minute and the idle settles down to 850rpm there is no hesitation.

Definately engine temp related.

·
Registered
46 Posts
well i,ve changed my spark plugs to oem and replaced the temp sensor and it,s still [email protected]@king doing it, so i,ve just popped into my very friendly and helpfull vw garage to book in for a timing belt at only 59k and mentioned this problem and the technician told me it will be the throtle body which needs cleaning and then re-setting by vag-com but my kind garage said they would do this for me for free whilst they do my timing belt [:D]

·
Registered
626 Posts
well i,ve changed my spark plugs to oem and replaced the temp sensor and it,s still [email protected]@king doing it, so i,ve just popped into my very friendly and helpfull vw garage to book in for a timing belt at only 59k and mentioned this problem and the technician told me it will be the throtle body which needs cleaning and then re-setting by vag-com but my kind garage said they would do this for me for free whilst they do my timing belt [:D]
I did'nt think you could re-set the throttle body on a AGU (non dbw) anyone know how to do this with vagcom?

·
Registered
46 Posts
i wouldn,t know, but mine is dbw, maybe speak to your local vw dealer they can be helpfull and not that expensive, they,ll probably only charge you an hours labour if not less!

·
Registered
626 Posts
i wouldn,t know, but mine is dbw, maybe speak to your local vw dealer they can be helpfull and not that expensive, they,ll probably only charge you an hours labour if not less!
Ahh right got a bit confussed as it says AGU on your profile.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts