Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh well....

After a trek down to manchester to look at a CupraR today (and have the wee wee taken out of me by a salesman).. i walked out, and started to consider other brands.

Basically the R showed some characteristics on fast dry roads that i wasn't keen with. The power seems to swell too much too quickly in 2nd gear for it to be able to translate into movement.... the outcome seems to be a very light steering feel and no feeling of contact with the tarmac. Plus the interior is starting to bore me already..... you can certainly feel where they've saved the pennies. Oh.. and considering i never go down the 'tuning' route with cars, the 1.8T engine in any form isn't exciting me anymore.

Soooooo..... Im off to test drive a CTR tomorrow, have high hopes considering everything ive read. The only thing that is on my mind is the somewhat 'rich boy racer' image, and the slightly tacky interior. Mind, if it's as good as some say, i dont think that will be a problem!

I think im too big for it, but i also want to try a Clio 182... just to discount it... if i can!

I fancied a look at a WRX, but low and behold, insurers dont like the sound of that.... hmph!

I though of an Anni... but i know ill get bored of the 180 petrol, as nice as the car is as a package.. and i simply dont do the miles to warrant the diesel.

Quite a tricky one trying to think of something for ?13-14k used, 2-3yrs old, that i would actually enjoy. I've kinda lost faith with the entire VAG brand... the salesman today (and i use that term very lightly!!) just reminded me how far up their own backsides the group is.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drove an S3 the other day...... impressed, but didnt feel as manic as the LCR (might be a good thing by todays test drive). I love the whole S3 as a package.. but going for a 3-4yr old car doesnt really seem to be a step forward again if you see what i mean. This car will definately have to stay for a good 3-4yrs, no question, so it needs to be relatively new-ish.. plug not have mileage say over 30k on it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sounds like the CTR may fit the bill well for what your after? The images of cars have never been much of an issue for me I much sooner prefer a car on its values rather than other peoples visions. I've always been an admirer of the VTR for example due to the amount of fun to be had for such little money.

Go for the CTR [;)]

EDIT: Considered the focus RS?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why don't you keep yours and spens a bit of cash on it wheels,remap and suspension will feel like anew car and you wont have the extra cost involved of having to finace another car. I appreciate you want a newer car but upgrading parts will minimise the cahnces of things going wrong.

I am in this situation at the momenet I would like to change my car but can't due to saving for a house so the odd mod here and there is just as good imo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I test drove and LCR and a CTR in the space of an hour of each other and the CTR was much more of a drivers car the gear box is very good alot better than the LCR. It also felt faster but I think it was pretty close. In the ?13-14k used market you can get a newer lower milage CTR also.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Quote: posted by JonathanM on 26/09/2004 23:56:37

I am in this situation at the momenet I would like to change my car but can't due to saving for a house so the odd mod here and there is just as good imo.

Join the club mate [:(]

With regards to the spend it on modding statement do you not agree it could be considered dead money as such due to the trade value of the car not really being worth much more if any at all?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Once you've had a Golf, and want to change it's sooooo bloody difficult to find anything that fits the bill.

YOu would think that with all those cars out there, that there would be a car that you could instantly say 'thats the one' to.

I was in the same situation.

I have a nice budget - not to be sneezed at, but do you think i could find what i was after?

Hell No!

Well, after some soul-searching you'll find what you're happy with Chris, i'm sure!......good luck m8

·
Registered
56 Posts
With regards to the spend it on modding statement do you not agree it could be considered dead money as such due to the trade value of the car not really being worth much more if any at all?

I totally agree chris but I have no intention of changing my car well not for the next few years by which time the market will have bottomed out on the MK4 so I may as well enjoy the mods.

·
Registered
703 Posts
if i could afford the lack of space and the costs of buying one now, i would get rid the Bora for a Cooper S... Done the TDI thing, and its not like the Bora gets used loads.. 17k miles in 2.5yrs!!

Go for the CTR, my cuz is planning on getting one. Value drivers car.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understnad what you guys are saying about remap's etc... and i did think about that route. But the fact that the Golf is worth bugger all now, and that most mods are essentially dead money once you've done them.... oh, and the fact that a remap will rocket my insurance by a grand.. you can kinda understand why i dont wanna do that! [:(]

·
Registered
220 Posts
My insurance company wants ?1k+ for the chip too and if i was prepared to pay silly money for insurance i wouldnt be driving in my golf[;)]

I like the LCR but i'd almost defo remap it which i understand makes it a very quick car but i love the CTR especially the newer ones. I've test driven a few and love em' the noise of the v-tec, the ride and rawness of the car,much prefer it to the floatyness and sea-sick feeling of the golf.

The 182 you can pick up brand new for around ?11,600 from car super markets and they come very well equipped (xenons,climate,cruise etc) but lose their value so quick!

what about ford focus st or rs? or some form of bmw?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Im looking in the same sort of price bracket, anni's, s3's, tt's, LCR's etc and am having a right pig of a time choosing something. I've pretty much decided to freshen up the paint on mine, slap on a new set of wheels and keep it for 12 months while i watch what the mk5 GTI does to R32 prices, good things come to those who wait.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Chris -

You should be well impressed with the CTR -

I drove my mates new anniversay model the other day (one with red recaros etc) and I was wowed at the performance from the standard car - bearing in mind my Golf is not slow either (Revo SPS3, blah blah blah)

Def felt quicker than the Golf - just pulled and pulled-

No torque??? bah - when your in V-tec range nothing else matters!!

If I had not just bought a house I might of considered getting one!

Good luck -

OH - Be sure to rag the nuts off it in the test drive - after all thats what they are meant for!! [8D]

·
Registered
646 Posts
Test everything. Thats the best way to be sure what you want.

the salesman today (and i use that term very lightly!!) just reminded me how far up their own backsides the group is.

Hmmm, my sentiments exactly. Are you sure your car isnt an import LOL [;)]

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quote: posted by aRd on 27/09/2004 19:30:46

why don't you go for a 1999/2000 model S4, you'll be impressed. A remap will release over 300bhp. Build quality is awesome and its 4WD.

Good thought but its gonna cost him 1000 to chip his 150 18T what on earth would a chipped s4 work out at ??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts