Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just driving along and a 'curly' light came on in the revometer.

I checked the little book in the glove box and it appeared to be the 'glow plugs'. On a second look, it seems to be something to do with the engine management system.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have caused this [?][?]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Is it flashing or constant ?

Either way something is wrong [no brainer]

You need to get it checked for faults with Vag.com or by VW

A long shot here, if it's flashing (the 'curly' light that is LOL ) ? .... are you brake lights working ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Replace the brake lights m8, shud be kool afterwards. Had the same thing on mine a while back, thought it was an engine problem!!

Make sure you buy the bulbs frm VW and not frm Halfrauds!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank christ for that - I was driving all the way home thinking the engine was about to explode!!

Whilst I'm on this note - Are there any bulb upgrades for the rear lights??

·
Registered
250 Posts
As said above, get the bulbs from the stealer. They seem to be better quality and usually last longer.

Strange but true [:)]

I think stop lamps are 21w - no alternatives there, but tail lamps are available in 5w or 10w. I use the 10w.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
i thought when the glow plug light was flashing it meant that the brake light switch was knackered, not the bulbs! Surely not all your bulbs, and your LED high level brake light will go at once!

·
Registered
60 Posts
mine did it when both both bulbs fused. The LED high level brake light was still working although it did have two of the outer LEDs permantly on all the time, really weird but once the bulbs were replaced everythin was back 2 normal. Have noticed other golfs like this afterwards.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI - None of my brake light bulbs were working at all. I was thinking of visiting the stealer tomorrw to get the alu trim so might no extra hassle getting the bulbs

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
HE HE HE ..... Looks like that long shot was a GOOD shot !!!

Defo Brake light switch. You need to remove the lower trim by the pedals to get at it.

Get a new one, as said about 5-6 quid.

BUT

Be very careful fitting it !!

You can easily ruin it and its not that obvious how to fit.

Pay careful attention to how the existing one comes out.

You owe me a beer !

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Reason the engine management light flashes (or glowplug on tdi) is that it's Drive by Wire. The brake light switch is of a duel circuit type and is a safety feature built in on DBW cars. It basically cuts engine power etc if the throttle position sensor / throttle goes wrong.

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Had mine flash twice now.

1st time I just had to change the bulbs as they were blown, the 2nd time I had to change the brake light switch.

Steve - The switch is underneath the brake pedal, it just twists and pulls out, although you may need to take out a piece of plastic in the footwell, its only a few screws though.[;)][;)]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Liquorice,

You won't notice any power loss, just pray your DBW doesn't go wrong... LOL

You've not got a saftey system there now.

Oh no, she's a runawayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts