Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently purchased some xenons,although they only have 1 ballast on the passenger side is this correct? also i bought the adapters so they would plug straight in, but they not workin, ive got sidelights indicators and main bean but no headlights,anyone can shed some light if need do anythin else please,

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
You need a ballast on both sides, also with the 10-12pin adapters the Xenon's should be good to go.

Sounds like you have a few problems there.

Sounds like the one ballast you have could be faulty or the Xenon bulbs faulty.

You do have bulbs in don't you? (just checking)

What about switching the driver and passenger Xenon bulbs over to check the one ballast?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cant put the ballast on the o/s has there aint a plug and 3 pins that hold it in, defo only meant have 1 on there, all is i can think is the bulbs have both gone, and yeah they have bulbs in lol, anyway of checking a bulb, also any particular noise they make when turn on?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I said swap the bulbs over not the ballast!!

I have Xenons and have TWO ballasts - one each side.

Are yours mounted on the rear of the headlight? If so then im 100% certain you should have 2.

The only way I can think of checking a Xenon bulb is with a known working ballast.

They use ignite gasses and not a filament as per a standard bulb (which you can check with a low reading ohm meter).

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry i realised after what you meant

and yeah they are on the backof the headlight but only one on n/s.There isnt wiring for another one on the other side, there a set on ebay now which only have one on same side too,

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
There isnt wiring for another one on the other side, there a set on ebay now which only have one on same side too,
I havent seen any like that before, I assume there's a cable routed between the headlights then?

·
Registered
437 Posts
yeah i would have thought that i just assumed
that the standard wiring was linked up, take a look at these and see
what think they are same setup,there isnt anywhere for ballast to go
see on passenger
side, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-R32-4MOTION-XENON-HEADLAMPS-GENUINE-VW-NR_W0QQitemZ4583071322QQcategoryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Something doesn't ring true with those - I've never heard of a pair of headlights sharing an igniter.

As far as I know old versions used to have seperate ballasts while
newer ones have them attached to the back of the unit. Maybe you have
one of each ?

Foxy is the king of xenons - perhaps he'll be along shortly.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i know and i understand about them both needing them or apparently, but if had the headlight in front of you and looked at the back there is only plug for main loom plus another which think is auto levelling, other than that nothin at all on the light not even a place to screw a ballast on that side, think il have go see vw see if they can shed some light on it,

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i would have thought that i just assumed that the standard wiring was linked up, take a look at these and see what think they are same setup,there isnt anywhere for ballast to go see on passenger side, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-R32-4MOTION-XENON-HEADLAMPS-GENUINE-VW-NR_W0QQitemZ4583071322QQcategoryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Something doesn't ring true with those - I've never heard of a pair of headlights sharing an igniter.
Foxy is the king of xenons - perhaps he'll be along shortly.
hope so

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
give vw a call and see if that is the case about only one ballast. I think i've seen them like that before but cant figure out how it would work the both headlights if there not linked ! . I can only suggest as Gary m , try the other bulb in the ballast headlight and see if that works. Would be interested to see what vw had to say tho.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
can all those who have xenons please have a look and tell me if they have 1 or 2 ballasts on the xenons with packs on the unit and how they are wired please

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
2003 Xenons, 2 ballasts - one on the back of each headlight and wired via 10-12pin adaptors off the standard 10pin headlight cables.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Purchased my xenons off the bay. Ballast on the back of each, 10-12 pin
adapters in place. Just a broken headlight adjuster grrr[:mad:]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I'd love to be able to help you further but I just can't.

I can't get my head around one ballast controlling two lamps [:S]

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i know what ya mean, but everywhere i look the drivers side dont have one nor does have room for one, shall i take pic to show you?, and they are defo a matchin pair, even pic on foxys website dont have one on the drivers side, thanks for tryin though gary im confused myself

1 - 20 of 40 Posts