1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, electrics to me are comparable to iraqi torture programs. Its one
thing i hate doing on cars. So could i please have a fool proof guide
to wiring up my new LED lights (courtesy of Baker21) so they come on
when the doors open and when the sidelights are put on. Depending on
how bright they are i'd like them to be at full brightness when opening
the door but very subtle when the sidelights are turned on. So
obviously a resistor in line with the sidelight feed would be needed.
If they are subtle anyway then thats even better.

I just need to know what wires to cut into etc.

Thanks [:)]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
When I wired up Jose_Golf's footwell neons I took the power feed from the ciggie lighter backlight (NOT the ciggie lighter itself!), so they would come on with the sidelights, and also be under the control of the instrument dimmer switch. Would this suit you, or must it absolutely be a specific brightness always? As for making it come on brighter when the doors open, that's where my knowledge of electronics stops. I only do digital logic [:D]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, the brightness thing really depends on what they look like
when i first light them up. The ciggy lighter light isn't operated by
the door opening though is it? Its an option though!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
No it's not, but how about this: add some other, different colour lights for when the doors open, so you have a different colour depending on what's happening!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Guys, guys, guys , guys!!!

Right then, I fitted some of these to my mates Ford Fiesta at the weekend and I wired them up to come on with his interior light when the doors were opened and closed, simple really.

As for the Bora's again it's simple. All you have to do is take the feed off the cigarette lighter for example to have it on with the sidelights or if your feeling clever, follow the wire from the interior lamp down to a door and take the feed off that to get the lights to come on with the doors.

If you want both then to be honest I don't think you could achieve that without a switch?

The guy I have just sold the Bora to wants me to fit those loghts to the car so I will be doing this not this Saturday but next, I could sort out some instructions for you buys if your interested?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
When I wired up Jose_Golf's footwell neons I took the power feed from the ciggie lighter backlight (NOT the ciggie lighter itself!), so they would come on with the sidelights, and also be under the control of the instrument dimmer switch.
I am planning on wiring some blue cold cathode lights into my footwells in the next few weeks, so have looking into how to wire them.

Found this guide which shows LED's wired into the ciggy lighter. Is this the cig lighter power itself or the backlight power?

I think I am wanting to be able to have them come on when I have lights on (will it work for sides/dips/main beams whatever?) but also fitting a switch like in the guide so I can turn them off if I want. Is that how they would work using the wires shown in the guide, or is that showing a permanent live (either on or off controlled via the switch)??

Are cold cathode's compatible with the dimming function?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was going to do it like this:

Wire from sidelights, to a switch, through a diode to footwell lights.

Then, wire from courtesy lights, through diode to footwell lights.

Result: Can be on or off with your sidelights, or simply operate when your courtesy lights come on.

If you wanted to alter brightness, simply add a resistor after the diode of the one you want to be dimmer..

I think that makes sense, I am getting flashbacks of GCSE Electronics now ... it is late!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thanks for replying necromax, but to be honest, i really dont understand what you said [:$]

Sorry, I just know very little about electronics.... [:S]

i can change a plug though [:p]

·
Registered
146 Posts
No problem. Diodes, you need something like an IN4001 (Maplins is an easy option for this) and while you are there, get yourself a simple on/off switch. Decide where your switch is going, where your lights will fit, and where you will take the feeds (eg/ cig lighter sidelights feed and the door for your courtesy feed). Run a wire from the back of the cig lighter to your switch, run a wire from the switch to your lights. Solder in the diode before you connect it to the lights. Run the wire from the courtesy feed to the lights, soldering in the diode before you connect it to the lights. Connect an earth to the lights, and you should have functioning footwell lights. Using the switch you control if you have them on or off with your sidelights, and they will automatically come on with the courtesy lights. Make sense?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Aah-ha thats a bit clearer, thanks mate.

Quick question, as far as it looks on that guide in the link, the ciggy lighter has one power supply cable (I havent took mine apart to see if its the same, I just assumed it would be) - is this the sidelight feed? or is there two different supply cables?

Ta

·
Registered
146 Posts
You need to find the connection to the light which is in the ciggy lighter, not the power supply, as this would come on with the ignition, not just your lights.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
OK, thnaks necromax....

So just let me see if I've got this right......if I wire to the general power supply, then the cathodes will be live ALL the time, and would use the switch as an on/off control independant of what lights are doing.

If I wire to supply to the cig lighter light, then the cathodes will be live ONLY when the car lights are on, and the switch would be like a master power control switch. Then they could be turned off with the switch, or they would also go on and off when I turn the lights on and off (with the switch in "on" position!).

Am I right in this understanding?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts