Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Road Angel, Road Angel Compact and Road Angel Plus? I thought it was that the Compact was a smaller version and the Plus is the normal one but with laser detection, but apparently you can get a laser detector for the Compact for about £50? Comet are also throwing it in free, meaning a RA Compact with Laser Detector is £150...the Plus is £250-£300.

Also if a Laser Detector picks up something doesn't that mean you have already been nabbed?

Thanks in advance, not sure which makes the best buy...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Personally i would go for the compact. They are both pretty much the same if you get the laser attachment with the compact. The only advantage with the plus is that it has a built in battery, but its still not worth £100 more than the compact.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also if a Laser Detector picks up something doesn't that mean you have already been nabbed?
Yep, unless you get a jammer but they are illegal.
Hmm so the detector is utterly pointless then? Damn...

Quite like the idea of no wires, the compact isn't battery powered? Origin B2 also looks good...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Forget the laser detection, it didn't help me 6 months ago when I got done by a van, without any indication on the RA.

Battery power is good, makes for a neater installation, but not available on the compact.

Another option is RA mobile if your phone is compatabile......

http://www.roadangelmobile.co.uk/

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
doesn't one of them tell you the speed limit of the road you're on ? is that the compact one ?

I think BMW charge you about £70 for the RA to be hardwired..

·
Registered
586 Posts
Should be easy enough to hard wire in yourself if you don't mind clipping a few panels off. Its not that hard although a bit scary when you're surrounded by bits of platic that belong somewhere in your dash. [:S]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should be easy enough to hard wire in yourself if you don't mind clipping a few panels off. [:S]
I assume this requires splicing into the cigarette lighter wiring? No adaptor available? I did a W8 light etc back in the day...

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I upgraded my "Classic" i.e. old Road Angel for a Compact about a year ago, new for £160 from a forum member who worked at a VW dealership.

I never saw the benefit of the laser detection - the only time it ever worked for me was when I drove past the sensors on automatic doors on a forecourt.[:$]

I had the compact hard-wired into the ignition circuit - its very discreet as it sits in the middle of the dashboard on a magnetic disc, and the cable is all hidden. It has a 5v power supply from a USB cable into a cigarette plug adapter, so this needs to be incorporated in-line when hard-wiring.

The Compact displays the speed limit. My only criticism is the length of time it takes to fix on satellites which can be up to 5 minutes, during which time I can have passed cameras. In fact, I have just received a Fixed Penalty Notice from a camera 2 minutes from my office, so that explains it doh! 36 in a 30 zone.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just bought the Plus model, and it suits me down to a tee, no wires or cables, just sit on the dash and go.

Only one problem, it didnt work, as in wasnt receiving satellites, so its back in the box waiting to go back[:S].

So cant comment on its use apart from an even more blue glow coming from the dash lighting up my face, looking to get a case for it next. All to easy to put it in the back pocket and oops, a flat road angel even more compact!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Should be easy enough to hard wire in yourself if you don't mind clipping a few panels off. [:S]
I assume this requires splicing into the cigarette lighter wiring? No adaptor available? I did a W8 light etc back in the day...
Mike the coupe is a cync to hard wire the RA in. I've done 3 coupes now and it takes about 15 minutes start to finish. There are several power options on the driveres side under the dash you can splice into. Just make sure you stick an inline fuse on.

J.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike the coupe is a cync to hard wire the RA in. I've done 3 coupes now and it takes about 15 minutes start to finish. There are several power options on the driveres side under the dash you can splice into. Just make sure you stick an inline fuse on. J.
Sounds good, just not keen on hacking into the OEM wiring loom again, but I guess its no big deal. I have found the hardwiring lead on Ebay but no details on how to put in an inline fuse in, is there a guide anywhere?

Thanks in advance mate

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I don't suppose you have a car kit fitted do you? You could always tap into that? Alternatively you can access the fuse box quite easily on the passenger side?

Regarding the in-line fuse just goto your local halfords, they do them in those blister pack things. With all the other crimps etc.

J.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks mate,

Bought a Compact but need the hardwire power cable and can't seem to locate one? All the ones on Ebay are for the RA2 or Plus, bigger socket on the end...

·
Registered
894 Posts
You need to wire an extra power socket behind the dash somewhere, you should not cut the supplied cable because the RA needs a 5 volt feed......

Hardwiring

ROAD ANGEL COMPACT has a 5V regulator built into the Power Plug. If

the cable is used to hardwire the unit into the vehicle, you will damage the

device.

To hardwire the ROAD ANGEL COMPACT into your vehicle, purchase a

cigar socket, wire this into the power system and use with the supplied

cable.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Thanks mate,

Bought a Compact but need the hardwire power cable and can't seem to locate one? All the ones on Ebay are for the RA2 or Plus, bigger socket on the end...
You need to use the supplied USB cable and the cigarette lighter socket (which has a built-in 5v adapter). Plug this into a cigarette lighter (cheap from a motor factor) and wire this into yur chosen power source. All hidden behind the dash and insulated with tape etc. This is how Blackspot tell you to do it in the manual (also downloadable from their website.)

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Laser alert saved my bacon once doing 95 on the M6!

As I came towards a bend it went mad, slammed on the anchors and around the bend was a traffic cop in a Police ramp!!

Upgraded from a classic (took literally seconds to fix a signal) to a compact and i'm considering sending it in for repair as it sometimes takes up to 20min to fix a signal.

Any one else having problems with the Compact? Don't think that the clip on laser is helping with the wire going over the top of the unit though.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone else have problems with the Compact? Don't think that the clip on laser is helping with the wire going over the top of the unit though.
Mine came with the laser alert free so based on what you are saying, might as well use it! Not used that part yet. I had trouble initially because mine (still in the 330) has the reflective windscreen, so signal doesn't work. BUT they have an area by the rear view where its unaffected and mounting it up there worked perfectly first time - virtuall instant satellite aquisition.... If the M also has the same screen Ill probably get a GPS antenna and mount that by the mirror.

I like the magnetic base for the Road Angel, super neat and very discreet. Tiffs voice was a bit of a suprise though!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts