Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a one of these off a lad on the forum.

I used it today for the first time. I used it with ssr2.

After I had used it, then waxed afterwards, The swirl marks and scratches actually look worse than before? looks like I have brought the surface of the clearcoat up to more of a shine, but the scratches can be seen more clearly?

So, do I buy ssr2.5, or do I go for something different?

I used the DAS green pad with the ssr2.

Also, how long are you supposed to use it on one panel before you run the risk of burning the paint?

Any help would be much appreciated, as I forked out quite a bit for this bit of kit, and I am sick of my car looking like its been attacked with a brillo pad!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have no experiences with a PC but read great things about them.

Most users use the following products.....

Removing swirls...
SSR2.5 or Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish

After....
Meguiars Speed Glaze

Browse thru http://www.detailingworld.co.uk Lots of info about PCs

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it was ssr2.5 I had, but it says ssr2 on the bottle.

Its a dark blue coloured stuff.

what colour is the 2.5?

whats the megs cleaner polish stuff for?

·
Registered
285 Posts
The SSR 2.5 is a pale purple/violet colour.

The only problem I have ever found is actually getting the stuff off afterwards because the polishing buffer pad (the slip on microfibre things) just can't seem to remove it and get clogged up almost instantly.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ordered some ssr2.5, hopefully that will get rid of the brillo pad effect. I think they used my car on that advert a couple of years ago!

Thanks for the info and links, learnt a few things[:D]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
If 2.5 doesn't shift them scratches then step up to SSR3 [Y] You will deffo need to use either SSR1 or an equivelent afterwards tho.

I had exactly the same problems as you did, its just a case of using the right compound and finishing off properly afterwards!

·
Registered
90 Posts
What speed are you using the PC at?

Really and truely speaking anything less than speed 5 is pointless for scratch and swirl removal. You need the high speed to help break down the polish properly, rather than just move it arond the paintwork, which can potentially cause marring in itself. Even 2.5 should clean up well enough on it's own without using a less abrasive polish afterwards. If your having trouble removing it with a MF cloth afterwards, then you either haven't worked it enough or your using to much.

Second thing is the pad choice... I'm not sure where the Sonus green pad falls in the grand scheme of things but, ideally you want some kind of polishing pad if using SSR 2 or 2.5. Any harsher pad can also cause it's own marring if your not careful.

Hope that helps a little :).

Cheers.

Alex.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I gave it another claybarring, and another go with the ssr2, its definitely better, especially with a coat of collinite and then p21s[;)]

I was using speed 5.

will the blue DAS pad be any better than the green for applying the ssr2 and ssr2.5, or will that be too harsh still, or do I need to order something like a Meguiar's SOFTBUFF? Polishing Pad?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't know how different the DAS pads are compared with the Meguiars pads as I've not used the Sonus pads.

Generally if it's classed as a polishing pad, it should be fine for SSR 2 or 2.5. Obviously the pad density is different between makes but it's generally not going to be that different.

The harder the pad the harsher it will be on the paint... It can get to a point with the PC (depending on the polish as well), that the pad may be to hard for what you want to achieve........ As an example, the soft paint on my skyline with SSR 2.5 and a Meguiars cutting pad leaves marks and actually create more work for me than I'm trying to rectify, yet 2.5 with a meguiars polishing pad gets rid of everything dead easy and gives me a perfect finish.

It's a bit horses for courses and trial and error finding the pad and polish combo that suits the user / car ... Generally speaking all the German marques have alot harder paint than anything Jap, so you may in fact find a cutting pad at first will get rid of more of the swirls but, you may have to do a second pass with a lesser polish and lighter pad just to tidy up any micromarring the previous pass may have left.

Get out there and play basically!!!! ;)

Cheers.

Alex.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
seemingly this is a tricky technique......which, once mastered gives superb results.

perhaps we need a sticky about using a PC properly, and what tricks and tips we can use, where to get them, and what compounds to use for what things we are trying to rectify.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts