Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

My friends dad has a rather old PC, Pentium 3 running a 850 mhz.

The problem is, he asked me to wipe the drive and put xp on for him which I did. However, seen as the pc only has 128 megs of ram thinks take a wee while to happen!

I mentioned throwing in another 512 stick or perhaps even 2 of them as I know this would make the PC a lot more efficient!

The problem is I'm not entirely sure which memory stick I should put in as it's quite old.

Here is some information I copied of the current stick.

GP SDRAM

GT 2000-03 <-- model number?

3.3v PC-133 mhz.

Would the following RAM be ok?

http://www.ebuyer.co.uk/UK/product/21569/rb/19089411178

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
593 Posts
Surf along to www.crucial.com/uk and run through the 'Memory Advisor Tool', sound cheesy, but works great! You will need to know the PC make & model if it's from a major distributor, or the maotherboard make & model (which will be printed on the board between the PCI slots, iirc)

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ill give it a shot.

The pc was a custom job from a local shop in the town which went out of buisness a while ago. Ill get the info i need tho and run it through the system.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The above RAM (PC133 SDRAM) should do just fine.  This type of memory got phased out back in 2001 when the faster DDR RAM took over.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
STOP!!!

I've got some new 512mb crucial memory that will fit im sure. Will have to check at work tomorrow but ill let you take it off my hands!

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right just a quick update,

I bought the following ram

(http://www.ebuyer.co.uk/customer/products/index.html?rb=19098568474&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=14196)

I recieved the ram and put it in the system today and the motherboard is reading both 256mb sticks as 128mb sticks although the system is a lot faster!

As I left the old (128mb) stick in, the system should now have a total RAM of 640mb but it is actually reading it as 384mb.

Is it just because that the motherboards old that it is not reporting it correctly? (QDI Advance 9 Pentium 3)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Looks like the motherboard doesn't like the speed of the memory... I've had that problem before... 133 memory in a 100 board or vice versa... reads as half the amount... could try flashing the BIOS to the latest version.... support for different memory may of been added at a later date...

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks. Does that mean it's not currently running at it's full potential?

Just had a thought, the old 128mb stick may be running at 100mhz where as the new stuff is running at 133mhz. Does that mean it will bring the faster sticks down to the spec of the slowest one?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yep pretty sure it would run at the slowest rated stick...... some old boards have jumpers on them to differ between 100/133... download the manual for the board to and check memory configuration?

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The thing is though, when I took the slowest stick out, it still halved the two brand new 256 sticks :S and the newest bios version was 2000 lol and it doesn't say anything about supporting new ram.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
How many slots does the board have, and can we have a make and model of the motherboard please.

At around the time of the spec of machine you're talking about, many motherboards particularly cheaper end, only took 128MB sticks, normally with a limit of 384MB (3 sticks).

If you put in 3 x 256 or 3 x 512MB, you'd still max out at 384MB - it will simply only read the first 128MB.

I've got a machine upstairs that does exactly the same... It's now a bored old firewall [;)]. Some motherboards you can flash the ROM on to upgrade the firmware, which may fix your problem and allow you bigger sticks of memory.

In most cases however, these older boards will not go over 128MB per slot, 384MB max.

Sorry dude - wish I'd caught this one before hand, as this screwed me over for a while before I found out the fault [:mad:]

C

PS - well it's not a fault, it's just the way it was designed [:cool:]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Or maybe it's an Intel i815 Solano chipset which only supports 512 MB across three slots.

I remember with some older computers if you installed memory modules larger than that supported by the memory controller, not only does the system only use the first addressable portion of the memory but you got stability problems caused by bus loading.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right the board is a QDI Advance 9

http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/eng/Products/Advance9.htm

Which according to the website can support 768mb Ram which is 3 256mb sticks.

I currently have the original (128mb stick) in slot 1 and the two new kingston (256mb sticks see link below) in the remaining two slots, thus covering all three slots.

The bios is then saying the total memory (when it does its test at start up) is 384mb as opposed to 640mb which it should read.

The memory is the type below.

http://www.ebuyer.co.uk/customer/products/index.html?rb=19098568474&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=14196

The processor is an Intel Pentium 3 thing running originally at 850mhz which I overclocked to 1ghz without any stability issues.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Put 1 256mb stick into slot one, take the rest out, watch carefully as the BIOS screen counts the ram, whats it throwing back at you? Whats windows reporting?

If it's 128 its bizzare.

I think you may need matching pairs, or at least a matching lot. Its going back a bit though and I could be very wrong. Try the 1 stick, should report back as 256, then put the other 256 stick in, should report 512. Then chuck the 128, or stick it on the bay.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts