Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I recently bought a set of R32 OEM Xenons from Ebay. For the past week i am trying to find out whether they are LHD or RHD units based on the part number which is written on a yellow sticker on the left unit only (photo below).

Part Number on the left Unit

Posted Image

Now what I also noticed is that on the rear of the LEFT unit only there is another small socket except the large one on top of the silver box (ballast i assume). This socket is the one circled on the photo below. On the right unit this socket does not exist....

Posted Image

Closer view of the small socket on the LEFT unit.

Posted Image

The photo below is the RIGHT unit...You can observe that the small top socket does not exist...

Posted Image

Can someone give me some help in my above problem because i am about to loose my mind.

Thank you in advanced.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Hello mate, I am in a similar situation, with the older style ones, as in, I am not sure if they are RHD.

To try and answer, mine have these 4 pin sockets on both lights, but they are used for connecting the ballasts to the igniters and the auto levelling unit is only on the left hand lamp, where your ballast now is, there is a connector which protrudes through the plastic rear section of the lamp which is used by the auto levelling control unit.

Right, my guess is, VW started to mount the ballasts at the back of the lamp, so they didn't need the 4 pin socket as the could go directly to the igniters, but the problem was, how to power the auto levveling motors, since the control unit needed moving, so they utilised the old 4 pin that used to power the igniters for the auto levelling and since the old style only had the control unit on one lamp, then there would be only need for one socket.

Still doesn't answer your question about RHD or LHD, but should answer some of your questions.

Here are the back of the old ones:

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is weird......

Basically what i really want to know is whether my units are LHD (driving in the US) or RHD (driving in the UK)?

Can someone give me some help on this?

Thanks for all your help so far.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Im pretty sure they are for UK RHD vehicles, the p/n is in the same batch as the ones for Left had Traffic - ie driven on the left hand side of the road.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now i think i a bit reliefed,

because if i had just spend 450 pounds for US-type HID lights, the only things that was left for me to buy would be a rope.....to hang my self..[:|]

Can you also tell me why i only have one small socket for the autoleveling sensors only on the left unit?

Thank you guys for you help.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Gary,

do your Xenons work normally though?

Thanks.
I wired mine to work with the manual rheostat on the dash instead of auto levellers.
All OEM xenons have only one socket though so installing them with levellers won't be an issue.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Gary, until i get a set of levelling sensors will i be able to use the xenons?
Yes, assuming you have a set of 10-12 pin adaptors to connect them to your existing wiring loom.
You'll just need to manually adjust the headlights via the two screws to an acceptable level until you fit your auto levellers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts