Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since getting my Anniversary, i'm really disappointed with the OEM ICE.

1) The Gamma HU is the newer Sony type and sounds crap.

2) I can't play my MP3 discs

I was going to fit an OEM SatNav but have decided against it as I don't want it to get nicked, would rather not attract any further unwanted attention to the car.

I really miss the MP3 changer that I had in my old Golf and I had burned loads of MP3 discs to use with this. I would like to get a MP3 multichanger back in my Anni and basically get some decent sound quality back. I spend a lot of time in my car so this is important.

I must however keep the dash looking as OEM as possible

These are the items I currently have available to me:

1) Gamma HU (pre 2002 Blaupunkt type)

2) OEM 6 Disc CD changer

3) JBL amp and Pioneer sub (removed from my S3)

My options are:

1) Install the Blaupunkt Gamma, get an amp for ?200 to amp the front speakers (as I believe the Gamma is very low output). Then get an Alpine MP3 changer and interface it with the Gamma. Then install the amp/sub that I already have?

2) Rip the lot out and start from scratch. Get a new HU and MP3 changer and then install my amp/sub. I have searched for some OEM looking HU's this evening and narrowed it down to the following:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Obviously, option one is going to look most OEM - I will have to remove the 6 CD dash changer as it will not be required if I have an MP3 changer in the boot.

If I get a new HU then I wont have to bother with any MP3 convertors, amplifiers or leads to make pre-outs from the HU as the aftermarket ones already have these. This solution will be pretty much plug and play but I will obviously lose the perfect OEM look.

Your input would be appreciated [^]

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't like anything too flashy either but these are the only HU's I can find that are compatible with an MP3 changer!

I would love a Becker Mexico Pro - very nice but Becker don't make an MP3 changer?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Sem, I have you considered these units:

Posted Image
or

Posted Image

caraudiosecurity.com have got quite a good sale on at the moment.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cage I have looked at those but TBH i'm after something a bit more clean looking. Had one of those Alpines before (similar) and although it sounded great they just look a bit too busy/cluttered IMO.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Quote: posted by Sem on 27/12/2004 23:35:04

I don't like anything too flashy either but these are the only HU's I can find that are compatible with an MP3 changer!

I would love a Becker Mexico Pro - very nice but Becker don't make an MP3 changer?

Don't be lazy, change the CD manually!

Out of interest did you get the Anni I linked to?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote: posted by Giddy on 27/12/2004 23:45:37

Quote: posted by Sem on 27/12/2004 23:35:04

Out of interest did you get the Anni I linked to?

Yep, I sure did [;)]

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Right Sem, here's what i suggest to you:

Rip it all out.

JL Audio comps in the front

Basic alpine MP3 player

Genesis amp

JL Sub 12/10 depending on your needs.

Thats if you want to go all out (im sure you do!) Otherwise get the Alpine MP3 player of your choice and the stock speakers will do you ok but i'd uprate them to JL TRs and get the best Apline you can afford. That way you can divert the bass to those speakers and it'll all sound magical [:)]

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Regarding the Beckers, they are nice and they do give out lovely quality but im told by someone VERY in the know that they dont give a musical benefit over any Alpine. Where they do have the oomph is in the tuner. But you wont be changing for listening to the radio mate [:D]

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

Sem, unfortunately you cannot add a MP3 changer or any Alpine CD changer to these unit as they do not CD changer control. All units with model no. CDE does not accept CD changers.

Posted Image

As for this unit it has a model no. CDM which means it does not accept any Ai-NET CD changers i.e. Alpine CHA-S634 (MP3 cd changer). It will only accept the basic CHM-S630 unit.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like i'm back to square one then!

I thought the S634 could interface with any HU that has CD player controls?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Unfortunately Sem, it does have to be an Ai-NET unit to have MP3 Text Information Display (ID3 Tag) and to navigate through Track/Folder Search menu.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've explored all possible options now....

The Becker looks fantastic and i'd love one but I can't be done with changing discs all the time.

Becker don't make an MP3 changer either [:(]

I need to keep the dash looking OEM as possible with hundreds of MP3's available to me. I've decided on a Gamma/iPod setup with a Dension ICE link. I want to stealth the iPod into teh centre armrest though which is gonna take a bit of work! Will keep me busy though for a few weeks [:D]

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Off topic Sem, but where are you hosting these pics of the headunits, as I can see these on the work computer, which makes a change.[?][?]

·
Registered
208 Posts
Do you really need an MP3 changer? The new Becker Mexico Pro is MP3 compatible.

And by the way VEDHEAD, all cd players sound different, Alpine tend to be a bit bright, where becker tend to be a bit smooth. Which one you prefer is determined by your taste and of course other equipment in your set up.

I have a new Becker Mexico Pro, and i love the sound (and i never listen to the radio) LOL!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts