Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got myself a golf in the last week 2000 1.4 3dr i have two problem's and i don't have a manual.

Central locking not working i think i'm not sure if i have it or not? how do you tell if you have central locking??

I have only one key pic attached below has a slot for battery no cover but not sure is it just for a light or is it for central locking?

another issue is the boot it wont lock! the key wont turn in the lock

any help would be brilliant cause would like to fix it myself [:)]

·
Registered
19 Posts
the boot lock try wd40 and work the key in it and your key that is a light and 9 out of 10 it is central locking try the fuse first ? hope it helps

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Do you have electric windows? If so you should have central locking. If not then no you don't have it.

The light on the key is pretty pathetic tbh! VW badge looks nice though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks allstar no don't have electric windows does that mean i dont have central locking do i have to lock the boot manually with the key every time?? thanks again for the rely [:)]

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Yeah I think if you've got manual windows then you've got no central locking either. Which makes yours a 1.4E.

Yeah the boot should lock when you shut it but you'll need a key to open it I think. It could be that the retaining clip has fallen off your boot lock and it just needs to be pushed back on.

[Y]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If i fix the retaining clip might be ok but it'll be like being back in the dark ages with no central locking can it be fitted easy enough? ten minutes on here has answered a weeks worth of head scratchin!! Thanks a mil for the unbelievably quick replies lads [au]

·
Registered
533 Posts
Get some pics up mate!

Btw allstar I have the same key, electric windows too but didnt think I have remote central locking...any way to find out if it did and if i could buy a new key?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Get some pics up mate!

Btw allstar I have the same key, electric windows too but didnt think I have remote central locking...any way to find out if it did and if i could buy a new key?
I had central locking on the key when I bought my car. I.e. all doors open when you put the key in. To turn this into remote central locking you just need a key and a receiver. Read the installation guide as above and it should give you some advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took electric windows for granted, they were one of many little but expensive things that has gone wrong with our Scenic, so when buying the Golf we went for the 'poverty spec' as a winder costs about 50p from a breakers, same with mirrors & central locking if you don't have it, then it can't break!! Leaning over to shut passenger window is a royal pain in the rear though!

I had white smoke and bad emissions - garage cleaned out 'oil breather pipes' and not sure on correct name 'throttle body housing'? By no way a mechanic but that solved mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts