Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my garage changed the drivers door lock the other week (that i suplied from scap yard that does work) as the door wouldnt shut (had to hold whist driving) it now closes fine but you cant open from inside you have to wind down window and turn key and pull handle to open the door, so ive stripped it all down and everything is fine it all goes to where it needs to it is starting to effect the other doors now so needs fixing just dont know what to do any help appreaciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes everything is where it should be, i had to do other bits aswell barrel repair (which worked a treat) and put the brass ring back on is it was not on (the previous owner must of knocked it off) so when i did them i checked everything and i honestly thought it would work but it is same as before.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Having spent all of last weekend rebuilding my drivers door locking module. If you pull the door handle on the inside and there is no resistance then either the cable is not attached to the door handle or the cable is not attached to the locking module itself. To check if the cable is attached to the door handle you can simply take the door carb off. To get to the door locking module you need to take the window out and un-blot the large panel that has the window regulator on. From there you should be able to see if the cables attached to the locking module. To get the module out you need to take the lock out, needs a Torx T25 bit, and detach the cable to the handle on the outside. Then using a M 8 spline bit undo the two bolts holding the module in place.

In your post you mentioned having to turn the key. Does this mean you have to unlock the door and open it from the outside by sticking your hand out the window?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i have to open window and turn key whilst randomly pulling handle and tuning key which is anoying the moduel as it keeps unlocking then sometimes the windows come down aswell (convenience system) which is anoying and the cable is attached at both sides as i said i had it all in bits earlier it all looks fine.thanks for your help has anybody else experienced this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you have remote central locking? If so have you tried unlocking the door with the key fob? When you do get the door open does the puddle light at the bottom of the door turn on? If it doesn't then the car thinks the door is always shut and will randomly lock it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no i dont have remote central locking just with key and yes the puddle light does come on, when i unlock it from the outside all the doors unlock i just cant get back out lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
The only thing I can think if now is, do you have a 5dr with a, longer, 3dr cable running from the door handle to the locking module?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
possibly on the door lock from the scrappy it said o/s/f i was thinking the cable was streched or something, if it was a three door one rather a 5 door one will it effect anything else

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nope all the cable does is attach the door handle to the lever that unlocks the door. Therefore if the cable is a 3dr or has been stretched then, when you pull on the handle the cable doesn't pull the leaver on the locking module far enough to dis-engage the locking pin in the lock

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just thinking if it were a tree door one then surley the back doors wouldnt unlock, and if it is a 3 door one can a swap the cable over. many thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
The locking modules are the same for 3 and 5dr the convenience module controls how many doors get locked/unlocked

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yep. Although you will need to take the window out, then the door lock barrel, then the panel with the regulator and locking module on, then swap the cables over and re-assemble

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok is it easy i have just had a look at the old one and it doesnt look like it comes of without taking the modual apart (plus i dont want to damage the new one) many thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Its fairly easy but would give your self plenty of time. You don't need to take the module apart to change the cable. Theses two links will help. The first one to get the door apart and the second one about the locking module. Note the 3rd picture down on the second link. Shows were the cable connects to the locking module

VWVortex.com - DIY - Replacing the front door window regulator clips and/or door lock module

VWVortex.com - MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :(

Hope this helps. It helped me with my lock issues

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for your help its sorted now it was slightly longer, so put the old on now opens and shuts fine inside and out cheers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts