Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided to de-badge the golf, so grab the hairdryer and some dental floss and the emblems popped off no problem but....

I'm now left with some of the adhesive that refuses to budge.

I've tried bug/tar remover and some adhesive remover from halfroads leaving it to soak for 10 mins then using an old card to scrape at it with. Waste of money!

Does anyone have any advice as what to try next? are there any products that i should try? I don't want to do anything that will damage the paintwork.

·
Registered
498 Posts
adhesive remover and or nail polish remover, both work a treat, and a bit of elbow grease with a cloth. do not use any type of scourer pad or sponge !!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so just tried WD40 and it didn't work,i think this is some serious glue! Nothing is coming off. whoever put the badge on is an bum hole!

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
White spirit will get it off

·
Registered
14 Posts
An acetone based nail varnish remover (the cheaper stuff usually has a higher percentage, many modern removers don't contain acetone) And a hairdryer/ scraper combination would be my best suggestion..

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
I feel I have to point out the same thing I point out every time this same question gets asked,which is a LOT.You always get the most amazing and bizarre recipes to remove stubborn stickers,such as soaking it in kangaroo sweat for 8 weeks while sticking pins in an effergy of the car and chanting voodoo spells
I have to remove stickers every day at work and trust me I have tried all the regular methods mentioned above such as acetone,nail varnish remover (the same),petrol etc etc and none of them are any where near as good as the methods recommended by the companies who make the stickers.The above solvents have low flashpoints meaning they evaporate a lot quicker than glue and tar remover which is designed specifically for this job and evaporates a lot more slowly,this is a problem because as soon as it does evaporate the glue which was nice and soft turns back into very sticky glue again.In fact these solvents seem to to partly activate the glue again and make it even stickier than before
,this is something I have found out for myself and not something I've read on the interwebs.

So once more,the best things to get rid of the residues from stubborn stickers are glue and tar remover and heat followed by a mild cutting compound such as T Cut.

·
Registered
122 Posts
As said tar remover. Let it soak on too soften it up. This may sound like a silly question, but it's not been stuck on with no more nails or something silly like that has it?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies, its getting to the point that i'm willing to give anything a go...

I'm still not sure what the adhesive is but it has set very hard, scraping it with an old car just damaged the car rather than taking anything off. It seems to be a strong glue!

Im going to try and get my hands on a heat gun and see if that works

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.