Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Jst looking for a bit of advice!! I bought my Golf mk5 in February last year. It didn't have spare key. I thought it would b simple enough to replace but after speaking to VW they seem to think they can get me a key for ?200+VAT. But they state if th locks on car have been changed since th car was manufactured then they can't guarantee th key will work! And I don't really wanna give th stealer ?200 of my hard earned cash anyway...
So do any of u kno how I can get a hold of a key without giving VW all my hard earned wages??? Surely there's a way round this...

Thanks
Lisa

·
Registered
250 Posts
hi lisa

i have the same problem. I did message one of the sellers on ebay and he came back with the answer... cant seem to find the email tho. I would try ebay as the sell blanks and can point you in the right direction.

cheers Damo

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys...I did have a look on eBay as I heard u can get them coded but all the ones I looked at on eBay were jst the shell and an uncut blade! Where do I get the transponder chip frm...the stealer???

Thanks again

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry should of said in last part tht I'm based in Sunderland area so I'm also looking for someone to program my key and car with vag com in th north east...so someone let me kno pls if yr reasonably local to me! Ta

Lisa

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi

ive just bought a golf and im in the exact situation. rather then buying a key from dealers for £180 theres a cheaper way.

Theres a guy on ebay who sells the complete blank key for £20 and will include a new transponder for an extra £12. buy this, get the key cut at a local place then you just need a autosmith or garage with vagcom system to program it to the car.

not rang and got any quotes but on other forums this seems to cost around £40 for the programming

the sellers name on ebay is remotefobcentre

link:
function item() { [native code...em=220734200051&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

also identify what key you have by taking it apart:

link

http://vorsicht.org.hk/forums/showthread.php?t=1819

·
Registered
171 Posts
By the way, how will I know if the key I bought has a transponder in??? Thanks
ones on ebay normally say if they have the transponder, mine said it had a new one fitted but it was used so the locksmith dealt with it, i went into my local mister mint and they said they wouldnt try to cut the blade as they hadnt done one before, i found that strange as they cut keys for a living lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts