Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I’m new here so apologies if I’m posting on the wrong forum!

I have a 2003 Mk4 and yesterday I noticed what I can only describe as a scraping/dragging/metal noise coming from the drivers side. It seems to get worse when I accelerate but I couldn’t hear it when I end the over about 50mph.

Started it up this morning and I can hear a metal/scraping/tinny noise when idle, and again, got louder when I revved.

Checked underneath and can’t see any obvious signs. I’m aware it could be a number of things and I’ll take it to the garage but just wondered if anyone could hazard a guess of what it could be?

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
holy cow what a racket! and your car wasn't even moving.. right so i have no idea what it can be but deffo something that moves with the revs... but to make sure post up some engine details as a 2003 mk4 isn't enough to narrow it down.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yeah as above, some more car details would be useful.

The metal scraping noise sounds similar to when my AC clutch assembly was bad. Pulley bearing was shot, coil was physically melted, and the rubber dampers on the clutch plate were non existent. Made the noise with AC off, and the noise got better with AC on, as the clutch plate was pulled tight to the pulley and not rattling around.

Yours could be a bad pulley bearing, something hanging down near the serpentine belt, a broken up cat, or many other things.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The more I listen to it, the more it sounds exhaust related. Could even be as simple as a heat shield loose and touching the exhaust.

The exhaust resonates with engine revs, so definitely possible.

Did anything happen/change in the run up to the noise happening?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The more I listen to it, the more it sounds exhaust related. Could even be as simple as a heat shield loose and touching the exhaust.

The exhaust resonates with engine revs, so definitely possible.

Did anything happen/change in the run up to the noise happening?
Thank you - really appreciate the advice!

No nothing out of the ordinary, I don’t tend to drive it too far but did a 4 hour round trip last week (couldn’t imagine it to be that), just started out of the blue yesterday.

Getting it checked out tomorrow so will keep you posted 👍🏼

·
NooNoo
9,472 Posts
Power steering pump is dry. When I did my clutch recently I disconnected the PAS line to the rack to ease dropping of the box.

My PAS pump made this sound before the fluid got back into it when re-filling.

Take the green cap off and have a gander.

(y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts