Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, wasn't paying much attention this evening parkign up at the office, and we've got really odd curbs that aren't straight and normal, and I've gone and scuffed my nearside alloy. [:mad:]

Absolutely GUTTED, royally peed off, and had a couple of pints to down my sorrow.

Big thing is - can anyone recommend me a good alloy repairer that's in SE London or NW/W Kent at all?? Need to get this sorted fairly asap so I don't get any corrision and problems later.

All advice gratefully received to one incredibly gutted forum member

Ta

C

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Hi guys, wasn't paying much attention this evening parkign up at the office, and we've got really odd curbs that aren't straight and normal, and I've gone and scuffed my nearside alloy. [:mad:]

Absolutely GUTTED, royally peed off, and had a couple of pints to down my sorrow.

Big thing is - can anyone recommend me a good alloy repairer that's in SE London or NW/W Kent at all?? Need to get this sorted fairly asap so I don't get any corrision and problems later.

All advice gratefully received to one incredibly gutted forum member

Ta

C
Sorry to hear this mate....

I have had expeience with Lepsons and they are not any good... pure orange peel finish... they could not even see the problem with the finish they had made.

I have used a couple of other alloy repairer's and none of them managed to sort out my BBS CH alloys... finish was always bad. To get a great finish to match the other alloys... sorry to say this... is to buy a new alloy.

Do you have any pictures to see the damage... can it not be touched up with a silver paint pen

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help there guys.

Kev - this is what I was fearing, which is gonna blow me outta the water, cos I know the gen Monzas aren't cheap [:(]

I'll get some photos up tomorrow, feeling goddamned embarrassed when I
do, cos it's a COMPLETE mess [:$] and you can see what you think!

Thanks again fellas

C

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Thanks for your help there guys.

Kev - this is what I was fearing, which is gonna blow me outta the water, cos I know the gen Monzas aren't cheap [:(]

I'll get some photos up tomorrow, feeling goddamned embarrassed when I do, cos it's a COMPLETE mess [:$] and you can see what you think!

Thanks again fellas

C
Any news on the wheel mate...

There is another firm which has a good rep which is FAT Wheels in Sheerness (not that far down the A2), I could prob get you a contact name to talk to if you are considering this route

Have you asked about a price on a New wheel yet?

I get on really well with the parts manager (Barry) at Sevenoaks VW and I could prob get you a good deal (maybe 10 - 15% off)....

Your could call him yourself and mention my name or my car and he should be able to sort you out.

The offers there so let me know if you need help

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I feel your pain. The GTI wheels are so showy, yet so vulnerable in this respect. [:(]

Second Kev, buy a new wheel if you want perfection. You can re-use the tyre. Very few things in this world can be repaired to original quality, it's up to you whether you can live with that.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been in to VW and they've got a guy due round early next month woh does
repairs, so I'll try that (40-50 quid), and if that fails miserably,
yeah I'll have to go and fork out for a new one!! Thanks for your
thought tho mate [y]

Anyone know how much a new 18in monza would be thinking about it?? (No doubt it's gonna make me cry!)

C

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess its worthwhile trying to see how
the repair goes before spending big on a brand new one.
Gary, that's my aim, try the repair, if it's crap, buy a new one.
It's only 40-50 quid, and if it doesn't work, keep it as a spare wheel
or there maybe someone else out there that may want it, we'll see [:)]

C

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
If you're feeling really cheeky, book a test drive of a GTI without a salesman, then drive to your house and swap the wheel.

I didn't just say that [6]

[:D]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha mate that is a BLINDING idea.... However Beadles have rid of the
tester GTI and I'm not good at living with my conscience [:(]

C

·
Registered
471 Posts
Been in to VW and they've got a guy due round early next month woh does
repairs, so I'll try that (40-50 quid), and if that fails miserably,
yeah I'll have to go and fork out for a new one!! Thanks for your
thought tho mate [y]

Anyone know how much a new 18in monza would be thinking about it?? (No doubt it's gonna make me cry!)

C
How'd the repair go? I've got a scuff on my original alloys that I'd
like fixed... even though the wheels aren't in use I'd still like it to
be all pristine and shiny :p

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haven't had time to get back to the dealer's to sort out with this guy
- on the list for Mon/Tues (had to do the cruise with a nasty scuff
[:(])

C

·
Registered
471 Posts
one of my friends used to use lepsons in Gillingham www.lepsons.com

I have no expereince of them though Chris so I dunno.....
I asked about getting my scuffed 18" Monza II fixed at Eurocanterbury today - the guy recommended Lepsons, says that's where VW send any wheels to be fixed and where he got his own ones done. Apparently they're good - and I saw one of the repairs and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the undamaged one and the damaged one (apparently had had some kerbing and scuffing done to it, not that you could tell!). I think they'll be the best bet, it's where I'm gonna take my wheel for sure.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like a backup if the dealer can't sort me [y]

Thanks for that mate - appreciated [:)]

C

1 - 20 of 30 Posts