Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm replacing my rear brakes and Discs and came across the caliper-piston obstacle. I purchased a LASER wind-back tool to compress the piston back in.

It looked fully extended as my pads had worn to the metal. I began winding it back in with force until i found it wasn't going in anymore. The piston wasn't locking as i turned it clock-wise with the tool. I've taken off the bleed nipple stopper, and opened the cap on the brake fluid reservoir thinking pressure might be stopping it from compressing? I've carried on twisting with ease, and pushing without any success of it retracting. It can't be fully compressed because the slide caliper won't fit over the new pads.

Very frustrating, could anybody help?

thanks

J

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Are you tightening the wind back tool as you're turning the handle? You need to turn the knurled handle section at the same time to keep the pressure on the caliper piston.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only way i could wind it back in was to bleed the nipple, there must have been too much pressure behind it

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had the same problem, I had to bleed the system and then give it a bit more pressure as I turned the tool for it to wind back in properly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts