Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help guys. Recently got pulled in Milton Keynes and had my window tints checked. I was sure when i had them done (last Oct) that they were legal and have been pulled before without a mention off them in the past.

The gun used to test light input read 44% when the legal limited is meant to be 70%. Anyone who has seen my tints know they aren't dark, i would describe them as smoked.

Anyway, typical VOSA, spent a week calling them but bottom line is ... Ive got til Friday afternoon to remove film, which i dont want to do as its security film as well.

So.... does anyone in the Milton Keynes area has a spare (or wouldnt mind swapping for a day, a front set of windows for a 5dr golf, so i can go and be tested, have prohibition notice removed and then put tints back on?

·
Registered
264 Posts
where did you have the film applied ? can they confirmed the % and if done after the law changed get them to replace with legal ones free.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have got back in contact with them and they can remove the film but there in Bristol and at Milton Keynes. Apparently the film which was applied is legal BUT the Gti's come with slightly tinted green glass anyway so the combination of the two.

But if you saw my tints you wouldnt for one second think they're illegal. You see much darker ones.

Any other suggestions? Swapping glass would be perfect, just need to find a doner!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have u thought about going to a scrappy to get some windows?

That means that you've got a spare set available if it happens again, and might be easier to swap the windows over rather than trying to swap the doors over?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote: posted by Turbo Batch on 11/10/2004 11:32:57

I have got back in contact with them and they can remove the film but there in Bristol and at Milton Keynes. Apparently the film which was applied is legal BUT the Gti's come with slightly tinted green glass anyway so the combination of the two.

That's not your problem, unless they said at the time the combo will be to dark. They should have known/checked as they are the experts, not just applied the film, taken your money and said there you go.

p.s. it's clear when you look at the mkiv glass that it's already tinted

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeh a scrappy could be an idea. How much do you reckon im looking at for two front windows?

Anyone in Milton Keynes/Norhampton area fancy a set of tinted windows for a few days?

·
Registered
156 Posts
i am a tinter, hense the user

Any tint bar factory is illigal on your front glass if i was i would remove it which is easy and leave it off if you get done again within 2 years they can take you to court because you car is legally un fit for the road

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Exactly, surely they will now have your details on system even if you get them "revoved" for the day of testing.

Should you get pulled again in a couple of weeks I think it could be a little more severe than just ordering you to take them off again.

IMO it just isnt worth the hassle of tinting, you are constantly giving the police more reason to stop you for spot checks etc.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Ask to see a calibration certificate for the tester

Check to see if its got and physical damage to it

Ask if you can inspect the guide lines for using it to make sure they used it right

Ask what training they have been given buy the manufacture for using the device

Just some questions that need asking

It might be simple to use but if none or some of the above is not in place then there might be a way of getting out of it

·
Registered
63 Posts
70%..does that go for all windows with tints

arent you allowed darker tints on rear windows

guy who had motor beofre i bought it told me he had to remove the front tints cos he was stopped by police, but he told me the back ones were ok

he even offered to put illegal ones back on before i bought it.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
go as dark as you want on the back doors and rear screen its just the driver and passenger windows your not supposed to do [;)]

we all bend the law its just pot luck if you get caught.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice boys. Especially Jimmy's advice on seeing the calibration certificate.

Hopefully, <touch wood> ive got a full set of windows coming so just gonna swap them over with that. Gonna miss my tints.

But one thing i cannot work out is..... according to the VOSA the law on window tints has not changed since 1985 which states that

"light transmission through the windscreen must be at least 75% aand the front side windows must allow at least 70%."

But from what ive read from the DVLA, a new law came into force in January 2004 that meant the windscreen and front sides arent allowed to be tinted at all but VOSA said that wasnt true.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Your lucky they didnt inpound your car, they have been known to do this if you car dosnt meet the leagal %. Whatever you do dont change the windows for the test and then put your tints back on, you are asking for trouble.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Sorry to hear your problems mate.

The "system" needs a heuge kick up the ***........criminals walk the streets yet a slightly darker tint than allowed and BANG.....one EASY target!

Makes my blood boil!!

Do what Jimmy says and demand the info on the testing kit and the testers.

***!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The "system" needs a heuge kick up the ***........criminals walk the streets yet a slightly darker tint than allowed and BANG.....one EASY target!

Thats whats annoying. They didnt even ask if the car was mine, ask to see my driving licence or even check more important things like tyres, brakes etc. I could have stolen the car, be driving with no insurance but tinted windows are more important.

My prohibition notice expired today but got til Friday cos ive booked it in for a re-test. Managed to track down a drivers side window but still hunting for a passenger side. Gonna try findapart.co.uk now

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
joke is, at the bristol meet, i sat in estoril blues car with tints and look out his window, throught the next cars tinted windows & through your car mate and you could see fine!

Also, if they have wrote your number plate down wrong im sure there is a way out of it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts