Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what cloths should i use for applying and removing polish on the bodywork and glass?

should i use microfibre cloths for everything or should i use a different sort of cloth?

help would be greatly appreciated. planning a good clean this sat!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
megs foam pads are good for applying, then use a mf for removing.

I use glass mf's but thats only with glass cleaner, foam pads I reckon would work well on the glass too for polish but I dont know about using bodwork polish on them, perhaps the side and back windows? Id use autoglym glass polish I find thats good but leaves allot of residue, but give it a quick wash down at the end and it'll look mint

Theres plenty of posts on here about technics etc have a look around.

www.detailingworld.co.uk

www.autopia.org

both are very good sites

What polish are you planning on using?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
some will say use MF for both on and off......

but i find that MF absorbs too much of your expensive products, so i use megs application pads, the yellow discs.....for putting product ON.....

for taking it off........MF......

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Below the links show you should be using,

Using a Foam applicator will also avoid waistage of materials when applying, as a cloth will soak a high % of it up.

However, if you do wish to use an MF, you can put a polly bag on the inner folded sided to help avoid the material being used soak through the MF .

Wax On

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/bpifwa1.html

My favourite for use with P21S-HARLY-PINNICLE- NATTYS BLUE are http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/mft-app-2.html

Wax Off

http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/mf-203-2.html

You will find a wealth of tips & advice here http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/how-to.html

BTW, use AUTOPIA in the discount code box & get 10% off [Y]

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
but i find that MF absorbs too much of your expensive products, so i use megs application pads, the yellow discs.....for putting product ON.....
I do agree that the MF's do absorb too much product, but I find it works better with wax....

I was always told to use the sponge applicators for polish and cutting componse as the sponge has a very small and I mean micro small amount of abrasion / friction due to the texture of the sponge...

and use MF's or similar to apply the finishing product wether a quality wax or Sealant, as the material is totally none abrasive

This is just my understanding... but it depends whether you want a lot of different pads to apply the many different products.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
what cloths should i use for applying and removing polish on the bodywork and glass?

should i use microfibre cloths for everything or should i use a different sort of cloth?

help would be greatly appreciated. planning a good clean this sat!
To apply wax then the Meguairs Applicator pads as mentioned by "Essex" are very good and an all round performer, plus easy to get hold of.

I would recommend using Microfibre cloths to remove, but I would recommend buying a fair few and then just clean them when finished for future use.

Meguairs products will help you out and normally Halfords will stock them at a resonable price.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I use some of the fantastic Clearkote sponge Apps.

However, having been taught by the great detailing guru, I now have some of those blue mf apps to use.

(seriously.. i'm only winding Jace up a lil. The clearkote apps are okay, but for a higher quality app, the megs sponge ones are good. There is a difference between the two too. The megs ones have a denser sponge texture, doesn't absorb as much 'product'.)

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
GROUP BUY ALERT!!!!
I dont think its worth it, you should have a good number of MF's in your collection anyway, so to order this many it shouldnt be an issue for most.But I guess you could email them & see what they say, they may even give youa special code for members to use, I must add that these MF are on offer at the moment anyway & have qty breaks.

You need to watch the AUTOPIA shipping though, I added some other bits & bobs, & it went up from $25 to $42 [:S], so I didnt bother, just bought the MF's, worked out ?31.90 with Paypals USD @ 1.7 [:mad:], still, they only work out to be ?1.59ea, which = Result [Y]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cheers for all the help. as it turns out i got car washed and dryed, hoovered the inside, then just about 2 polish and it started raining. gutted!!! got it dryed again and rained again. so i just gave up and took some pics. i will try and post them never done it before. cheers for the help and advice folks.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Ah gutting! I hate that bad enough when you give the car a wash and dry only to get right to the end and it starts to spit, then 30 secs later it stops, that pees me of! But when you have loads planned and you cant do it that just takes the biscuit.

www.picturetrail.com

www.photobucket.com

I use picture trail, but have read that people also use photo bucket, easy to use just make sure that the pics are not massive before you post them or you will upset them 56ker's [:cool:]

Look foward to seeing the pics

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Ordered Friday afternoon from 'Autopia' based in the good old USA

Landed on my desk 5 mins ago [Y] Better service than most uk based places (except Serious Performance, of course)

They work out to be mega cheap @ ?1.55.ea [H]

Posted Image

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
why so many?
Why Not ??

My whole approach to life is Its better to have & not to need , than to need & not to have, if that makes sense.[:S]

Besides for ?31 you cant not really can you........ [au]... 333333

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
thats my theory too.

just seemed a lot thats all.

fair play though as they are proper cheap. I just can't be doing with sending to america to get the price. Nice cloths though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts