Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

im currently taking my driving lessons and i was talking about what car to get. The parents offered to buy me either the most basic 2011 polo/golf aslong as the insurance is reasonable.

what i am stuck with is that i can not get any decent quotes like im getting around 12k fully comp for a 1.4 golf twist which is the most basic model and then 9k for 1.2 polo :/

could you help me out and recommend me some firms to try?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Posted Image

Well you will always get extorsionate quotes because of your age and experience. So are your perents paying for the insurance as well?

You would be better of going for an older car until you get a few year no claims and experience behind you. Plus with an older car if doesn't matter as much if it gets knocked about. [:D]

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
12 GRAND!!!!!!!

you can be a crack head for less than that [:O]

saying that a lad at work got quoted for a 3.2 2005 M3..............................£54000 [lol-lol]

·
Live fast, die young
1,167 Posts
its more about the value of the car there pal as theres a high risk a new driver will crash in the first 12 month and evan though its only a basic car its still got a high book price try quoteing a older car thats worth a lot less as its not as much risk to the insurance company then

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ah thanks guys i see what you mean and wow i got quoted 32k for a 2005 smg m3 lol i always had a feel for the mk2 1.3 but then i was quoted 4k for that which i suppose is better.

dad will be paying for insurance but i can not even have him as a named driver because his no claims is all taxi based lol :( i guess il just have to try my luck. I did get quoted 6k for a mk6 golf but that was a one off i refreshed it and got 12 lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
They're stupid quotes. Literally. When I was 17 I was on a 2005 Mini Cooper and it was 'only' £1,500 for me to be on there.

You can definitely find better, just shop around. Use confused etc and put your parents on there as named drivers too. They brought my quote down by £500 this time being on (I have points now you see!)

I'd be tempted to buy a car that's worth like £2,500 to start with, get third party fire and theft insurance for a year or two then move on to better/bigger cars that are worth more.

Nick

·
Registered
174 Posts
Try Admiral, got cheapest quote with them through confused.com.

Increase the voluntary excess to the maximum amount, probably paying for £800 repair with a lower premium is still cheaper than a whopping £6000 for insurance. If it isn't going to be used for a commute to work putting it as a social use vehicle can be cheaper, and lower estimated annual mileage. Also if your parents are paying, then paying the whole cost of insurance up front instead of monthly can reduce the cost a little too.

If your folks have a garage/drive then that can make the insurance cheaper than "on the road" parking overnight. Don't remember seeing anywhere to enter the details for Admiral quotes but Pass Plus can reduce quotes from some companies. Maybe worth doing that.

I've just started to drive too, but fortunately for me I left it late (live in a small city where I've never really needed a car, currently have a 2 minute walk to work in the mornings :) ) and with £150 voluntary excess (£350 compulsory for 25+ with license for less than 1 year) my best quote for a 1.4 TSi 122PS Golf Match was about £750. Dropped it down to 10 month insurance to get accelerated no claims bonus from Admiral, worked out at ~£630 for 10 months. Also the 1.4 122PS engine seemed to be the sweet spot. A 1.6 lower power engine cost more, most quotes seemed to be most concerned with the engine size. They don't seem to have twigged about the downsizing trend that some manufacturers are using (Astra 1.4T (140PS), Volkswagen 1.4 TSi (122)).

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
And there's old me moaning to my Insurance company, last week, when they increased my premium by almost 30% on last year's. I phoned them up and said it was about time that I moved on, with that increase and within minutes they'd knocked 15% off (bad tactics but I could not be bothered to f**t around).

My new premium is now £425 for the next 12 months after which I might insure through 'Help The Aged'.

·
Pro tinkerer
5,647 Posts
And there's old me moaning to my Insurance company, last week, when they increased my premium by almost 30% on last year's. I phoned them up and said it was about time that I moved on, with that increase and within minutes they'd knocked 15% off (bad tactics but I could not be bothered to f**t around).

My new premium is now £425 for the next 12 months after which I might insure through 'Help The Aged'.
I know how you feel mate 8yrs no claims, 26yrs old, and a clean licence. Mine went up from £680 to £800 and I wasn't happy, untill I tried looking arround and couldn't get cheaper [:S]. Apparently it's gone up upto 40% across the board this year because of all the claims made in the snow lastyear [N]

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
You'll get no realistic quotes from an insurance company until you're actually going to buy. At the moment you don't even have a license (full, that is) so they just quote silly money. Once you've actually passed your test and are looking to buy, then start running some quotes and see what you get then.

But as pointed out, buying a brand new car in your first year of driving aged 17 is going to be extortionate, because you are going to crash. Statistics say so, and that's what the insurers work on. So I'd suggest buying something with little value in a Group 1 insurance category (£1000 or so) and run that for a year. Don't claim on the insurance unless you wipe out someone else and next year you'll have a years no claims, and more importantly, a years experience. After the first year you can throw away your (now well bent and bumped) first car and start upping the car category and class to something a bit more reasonable.

I know Dad's paying (and I'm not going to mention "handed on a plate" or anything) but he'll have more respect for you if you can save him £10k in your first year of motoring.

And one other thing, make sure your name is on the insurance policy in your own right (not as a named driver on dads policy of anything stupid like that) and add your parents to it as named drivers. It'll bring the price down, even though they never even have to drive it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think il just have to get a mk2 the benefit off that is while i get older i can always easily upgrade the car like engine etc wise.

Insurance is such a cow! my dads taxi insurance doubled he was paying £700 last year now its £1600 when he shopped around he was getting 2k quotes. I dont think my area helps aswell since in my area theres two sides the nice part and the rough part i live in the nice part but its still under one postcode :'(

haha i think we should all pay our bit and set up our own private insurance company :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
My car is decent, it's a mk4 1.9 sdi, diesel but no turbo, group 2 insurance I think, very cheap to run, qoute them up see what they ask :) this yr was the first time I was on my own policy, cost me 1600 fully comp, don't think that's too bad :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
my mk4 gttdi 130 is 1600 fully comp in my own name and ive been driving less than a year. im with elephant insurance [Y] id say get something older and you can work your way up to the newer cars in the future

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm 21 obviously being a girl I get it like ?500 than lads would, stupid
I know. I'm driving a 1.9 gt tdi 115, 2001 plate. 2 years no claims, and 3 points ?624 from a broker called yes insurance try them, also just add your parents as named drivers without their no claims etc, my dads my second driver and it came down from
?987

·
pauly4226
935 Posts
wow! i doubt whatever you drive the insurance will pull your pants down. 2 yrs ago my then 18 year old son paid £2200 for a 52 plate corsa,last year my other 18 year old son paid £2400 for a 1.0 polo(s plate).for some reason its cheeper being fully comp. direct line have worked out the cheapest in both instances, and it has not made it cheaper me or the wife being on their insurance. mayb buy a cheaper car(1.2 polo, 2001/2001) drive for a couple of years,keep the licence clean,then it wil go down. good luck,oh an welcome.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well Marvin I think I would shop around if I were you. I don't know if you have any points I don't but I know your a bit older than me and I pay £320 with pretected no claims and a £250 access with Esure. Thats the same price as last year. You can get an online quote with them.

@icon2007 - have a browse at http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=53.0 [:D]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Well Marvin I think I would shop around if I were you. I don't know if you have any points I don't but I know your a bit older than me and I pay £320 with pretected no claims and a £250 access with Esure. Thats the same price as last year. You can get an online quote with them.

@icon2007 - have a browse at http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=53.0
Well I know that I have been lazy and not bothering to shop around. I don't have any points (if you mean on my licence) but I do have another named driver on my policy and my age might soon begin to count against me, hopefully not for another 7 years when I'm 80 (should I live that long).

I don't know when you last insured your car but they have all gone up these last 12 months by at least 30%. I suppose I have got more money than sense still I will try harder next renewal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts