Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I have in my hand my pac code from vodafone so I'm free to go with whoever I choose. The problem is I don't know what phone to go for.

On the one hand I want a cool/fashion phone and I want either the SLVR L7 or the nokia 8800

Then there is the feature phones, the D900 or the k800

I think the k800 will be too chunky, the d900 maybe too small.

the other two are just cool and I'm not really fussed what features they have as long as they have bluetooth.

What would you do, help me please.

http://www.bestbuymobilephones.com/files/slvr-med.gif

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I'm no expert but I'v eheard the moto and that Noki (batt life if I remember) are not very good. So its a choice between the sam and sony.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm a SonyEricsson fan myself.

A mate has that Nokia 8800 and it seems very light on features, its a phone and thats about it, dont like it.

Gone off Samsung in general as my wifes and my brothers both went dodgy and had screen problems in the past.

And I just dont like the buttons on them slim Motorola ones!

[my 2p'th]

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I was going to get the Nokia 8800 myself... but after reading reviews about lack of features, and how easy they break, or go wrong, I wouldnt go near one! I never thought I'd have another phone make apart from Nokia, but after going for a Sony, I dont think I'd ever go back, very impresssed! So my vote would be for the Sony!! [Y]

Andy [:)]

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'd personally AVOID the Moto big time

I've got a Pebl, it's short on features which I don't mind as I don't need em. But what I do mind is that it's OS is dreadful!! Sometimes just looking for the simplest feature takes ages as the options never seem to be in the right place in the menus. Nothing is intuitive, predictive typing is a pain and it randomly crashes.

On the plus side, Motos always look the business, the Pebl feels fantastic to just hold, the camera is great and the call quality is superb. But I'll never have another one as it's like solving a rubics cube every time you want to do something beyond make a call or take a pic. ;)

I'd also never have another Sony. I had one and it was nigh on useless. My mate's had 2 (work phones!) and hated both of em

My vote would go with the Nokia as I've always found they're damn easy to use and live with, which is the main thing I look for.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Ditto on the above, I've always been a Motorola buyer because they always had the best looking phones out when I was int he market for one. I've cancelled my contract (got a company Blackberry) and if I do get another mobile in the future it will not be a Motorola.

The menu, navigation and features are crap in comparison to others on the market but its up to you as to whether you go for style over functionality.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ive owmed the Nokia and whilst it was a very stylish looking phone the camera is rubish and the buttons are impossibly small for texting, you get 2 batterys with it and both died on mine after 2months, the screen developed a fault as well and it had to be sent back.

My mate from work still has his and he is experiency the same problems.

The motorollas ive had in the past are really difficult to operate and my mates girlfriend has been through 2 slvrs now due to sitting on them or swinging handbags into stuff.

I had a samsung years ago e700 i think, and at the time it was the best phone i'd owned, peopel i know with the new samsung are very happy with it.

I currently have a SE W800i and it is the easiest phone to use and has loads of good features, the camera is good and on the new one it is the same just better, a tad chunky though, the thing to watch with the sony is the joystick tend to play up after about 6-8months.

So out of the options there I'd go for the samsung or the sony, probably the sony but watch out for the joystick.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
437 Posts
That Nokia is a dog.
My wife has had one since they first came out.

Poor battery life, heavy, poor reception to name just a few.

I've just got the Sony above, was free and will do the job I need it to.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still no where nearer making a decision, I really like the styl of the Slvr and the 8800 but from the sounds of you guys I should stay well clear. I just don't want a brick and the SE looks pretty brick like to me and the D900 just looks boring apart from the depth of it.

Any other recomendations?

·
Registered
906 Posts
The Nokia one has really bad battery life i have been told, mates brother had one and had to charge it up every day even though he didn't use it much during hte day!

I have seen the K800 and it looks chunky like you said but then i do have the N70.

SLVR L7 seems a very good phone, i do know a few paople who have it and don't say a bad word about it.

d900 does seem to small for me.

I would go with the SLVR L7 but i prefere the Nokia so would probably go with that even though battery life is poor. At one stage i was bidding for the Nokia on e-bay

Hope that helps mate

Tam

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
In my experience I would say:

Nokia - software always goes wang and or turns itself off all the time, and generally not very reliable. 8800, looks the business, but actually very basic and very overpriced.

Motorola - Reliable enough but crap OS. Bit boring too

Samsung - good but have software problems and screens that go wang. New models look good

Sony Ericsson. Built like a Volvo with jap reliability. My only choice now. 3 in a row without even a missed beat.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sony Ericsson. Built like a Volvo with jap reliability. My only choice now. 3 in a row without even a missed beat.
I tend to agree with you (my last was a SE S700i), but the thing is it's no ferrari is it?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Personally i would go with the Sony Cybershot, looks awesome. And its what ill probably have on my upgrade.

I got my gf a SLVR L7, looks sexy ...does a lot of stuff, just dosnt do it for me..its kinda like a Heavily modified Skyline in the car world, and the Sony is an Aston Martin.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know they are great phones but the k800 just doesn't do it for me style wise, i don't like the lens cover on the back, looks awkward

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I tend to agree with you (my last was a SE S700i), but the thing is it's no ferrari is it?
I had an S700i last, great phone but no Ferrari, no!

Now got a K750i as wanted something with less 'bulk'. Failed to see the point in all the gadgets, I have internet at home, I have a digi camera etc, I dont want enough memory to listen to Now 1 to current, hence I went for something small and reliable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts