Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Both are very good and capable cameras, so it's your choice. Go and check them out thoroughly in your local camera shop and see which one has a better 'feel' to you. FYI, Canon do have a tendency to update their product line more often than Nikon.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I suppose the answer is both good and bad: Good when you are buying, being able to get a more up-to-date product at the time; Bad when you are selling, make your camera age quicker and worth less. I hope this makes sense? [8-|]

·
Registered
245 Posts
As mentioned, both a great cameras. I would add two things you should consider when you pick between them.

1) What lenses are you looking to get. This is not an issue if you are
going for Sigma, Tamron or other non camera brands. But if you happen
to like for example Canons L line you should go with the Canon house.

2) How the camera house feels in your hand. I have only tested the
Canon, and it is rather small. So if you have large hands, this will be
uncomfortable, especially if you mount a heavy zoom lens on it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Even more things to bore you with regard to lens compatibility, note that this is not a flame thread about Nikon vs Canon:

* Nikon - F mount will accept most lenses dated back from the 80s although some of the functions may be lost when coupled with modern D-SLRs;

*Canon - sorry, the modern Canon bodies will only accept new-ish L and EF series of lenses.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
DO NOT buy the Canon with the standard 18-55 lens. This lens is very poor. So stay away from any package offering this lens.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I went to check them out and I am glad I did. I could not get on with the Canon at all, it felt far too small for me, whilst the Nikon felt good. However, I am concerened that the Nikon may not be exactly what I want due to only being 6MP.

On my way out my eye was caught by some of the 'Prosumer' compacts

http://www.digital-cameras.com/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz30b-black.html?sort=price

It seems to offer most of what I want at a fraction of the D-SLR price. I have found this in the US for less than ?300. What are the major drawbacks (aside from interchangablity of lenses) of these types of cameras? They offer Wide Angles and a 1.7x teleconverrtor adapters and take standard filters.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Well I went to check them out and I am glad I did. I could not get on with the Canon at all, it felt far too small for me, whilst the Nikon felt good. However, I am concerened that the Nikon may not be exactly what I want due to only being 6MP.

On my way out my eye was caught by some of the 'Prosumer' compacts

http://www.digital-cameras.com/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz30b-black.html?sort=price

It seems to offer most of what I want at a fraction of the D-SLR price. I have found this in the US for less than ?300. What are the major drawbacks (aside from interchangablity of lenses) of these types of cameras? They offer Wide Angles and a 1.7x teleconverrtor adapters and take standard filters.
First of all, the above should really be considered a consumer product - advanced SLR like digital camera (in my opinion). The major drawbacks are:

1) Image quality can be very close but certainly not better to that of a proper SLR system (well known fact).

2) You have already mentioned about the lens limitation but proprietary accessories can often be quite limited and expensive too. I am thinking about the likes of teleconverters, flash gun, extension tubes for close-up work, lens filters...etc

3) SLR-like compacts do not hold their resale values as well as their SLR counterparts. These cameras get updated and outdated very quickly. For example, you are most likely to sell your 2 years old SLR much quicker than an equivalent digital compact.

These are the major points that I could think of. In all fairness, the final question you have to ask yourself really is how serious you are with photography. There's no point in getting an expensive camera only for the rare vacation shots. To the occasional user, a 8MP SLR-like compact can be very very attractive as you get a lot of camera for the money. Beside that, you also get a lot more 'consumer friendly' features like video recording, live preview that are often omitted on the more serious D-SLR cameras. Hope all these make sense to you.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I nearly went with the Conon as it had the higher MP count but i was directed to this page http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

It is a real eye opener as to what you actually get from the extra 2MP of the two mentioned cameras.

I would pick the D-SLR every time ... You will regret it if you go down the"prosumer " route as you will always think about the time you nearly bought that D-SLR that you always promised yourself

2/p

Jay

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I agree with Bike Boy. I love my prosumer Fuji S20 but the difference in pic quality is off the scale. I went with the 350 as I didnt like the feel or use of the D50, plus 8mp is great for blowing up pics. 6 is very restrictive if you want to do some good prints for people.

Jessops are doing a good deal with the 350 and 2 lenses so see what you can get thrown in [:)]

·
Registered
368 Posts
mm didnt think digital slr's were this cheap - might be tempted to get one myself now.

Do you guys recomend just buying a basic, cheap one or splashing out a bit more and getting a dearer and better?? one.

Andy

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I bought the 350d with the Canon EFS 17-85mm USM lens which cost nearly as much as the camera body (?499 before discount). I'm glad I did - it's an amazing bit of kit. I'm not using any advanced features yet and I'm very happy with the results I'm getting. I do intend to start playing around with speed and aperture soon.

I was mainly influenced towards Canon because I had been happy with their digital video camera, despite Dannyboy and Aric trying to turn me towards Nikon.

I intend to get a matching 75-300 lens when funds allow.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I agree with Bike Boy. I love my prosumer
Fuji S20 but the difference in pic quality is off the scale. I
went with the 350 as I didnt like the feel or use of the D50, plus 8mp
is great for blowing up pics. 6 is very restrictive if you want
to do some good prints for people.

Jessops are doing a good deal with the 350 and 2 lenses so see what you can get thrown in [:)]
6mp isn't that restrictive in all fairness. I've blown pics up to A3
with no visible loss in quality and am supposed to be able to get at
least double with almost no loss. 8mp is nice but it's by no means that
much better. Far more important is the quality of the lens you use.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Milkfloat

If you haven't already decided on the Nikon, you are welcome to try my D70 if you want, as I live just up the road. I didn't get any lenses with it as I already had a couple (all Sigma - very good).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts