Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need to replace the rear inner CV joint on my MK4 Golf.

Ive already got the parts but needs fitting. Local garage who have been quite good in past quoted £108 for fitting.

Does this seem like a reasonable price to anyone cause I was told this is not a big job.

thanks

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only need one doing. Not actually sure if theyve quoted me for both there though.

Does that sound like price for both sides?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another local garage has now quoted £72 inclusive VAT which is more what I was expecting!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have just realised that actually its the outer CV boot that needs replacing. Anyone think that this would be a cheaper job to fix.

Im such a tool [facepalm]

·
Registered
519 Posts
Getting the drive shaft out is the hard bit. I did both on one side last year going from the inside out. Was not too difficult, you dont even need to drop the gearbox oil. If you are at all handy, diy.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting the drive shaft out is the hard bit. I did both on one side last year going from the inside out. Was not too difficult, you dont even need to drop the gearbox oil. If you are at all handy, diy.
Mechanic mate, who lives too far away to do the job, said it's a straight forward job but fiddly and messy and recommended I get it done properly.

So much that needs doing too and all bloody expensive jobs.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
what are the symptoms of this?

just wondering as i have horrible grinding rubbing that i can feel through the pedals, especially on long corners/slight turning.i have had the front wheel bearing changed and the wishbone bushes, alignment and balancing all done too, issue still there [:(]

cheers.

James

·
pauly4226
935 Posts
cv joint issues are relativley easy to diagnose.if you were to pull out from a side road you will hear and feel a clicking /grinding noise.find a car park, full lock and drive forward,the clicking noise will increase relative to the road speed.most times it is the outer joint that goes.tbh if i drive down the road and was to just rest my foot on the cluch pedal i can feel a slight vibration thro the pedal.,its not really something id worry about.

·
NooNoo
9,450 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what are the symptoms of this?

just wondering as i have horrible grinding rubbing that i can feel through the pedals, especially on long corners/slight turning.i have had the front wheel bearing changed and the wishbone bushes, alignment and balancing all done too, issue still there

cheers.

James
There are actually no symptoms on mine. The usual is a clicking or grinding as mentioned below. I only know from a recent service. I don't have any clicking or grinding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts