Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right pips need your help.... this is serious too, as i really dont know what way to turn.

Im in a bit of a dilemma.

Ive got to get a new car and its between 2 now.

1. Audi A3 2.0 TDI (140BHP) Lovely spec and would have the Votex bodykit fitted too it. (Met Black with Black Leather)

2. Audi A3 3.2 Q (250BHP) Again Nice Spec Metallic dark Grey.But has Red leather seats, and to be honest i cant get my head round them. There not Bright Red, but they are red. Now if i go with this option i cant afford to get the body kit as well, and even thought its the biggest BHP A3 looks no different than a standered sport.

Now im not going to have it long (say 6 months maybe 8 at a push) so im looking for best residual too.... I know im in the trade but i dont know what to go for...and thats the honest truth.

Im quite taken with the diesel[:I] but think it will hold its money better. The difference in money would be 3 maybe 4 grand !!!

What would you go for ??

Here is a picture of the bodykit.But it wouldnt have the wheels in the picture.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can i have some constructive comments please !

·
Registered
894 Posts
Someone in the trade asking us for help eh.

I think the TDi will be the best bet with residuals, probably be easier to move on.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that is really interesting .......

The A3 3.2 is not sporty enough, but i can make the diesel better looking by miles.

Tax and insurance will be cheeper and i assume that i can have the old smoker chipped ?? Did you also know that on the A3 the largest wheels you can factory order are 17's and there an extra !

Wish the Golf was here now, but i will have to wait until the middle of next year for the propper GTI models.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you saying the Diesel purely on its looks ??

Have you seen the photos of it ??

What are your reasons behind the diesel chose ?? Its currently only 140bhp, and has a 0-62 of something like 9 seconds, however i did enjoy driving it. But would that be because of its 'Different' feel to the petrol's that im use too.

Still confused

**Edit** Because i wrote that i didnt enjoy it, when in fact i did enjoy it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Wish, haven't seen the pictures your links don't seem to work, but as a business decision head over heart it has to be the TDi.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I hate to say it, but I think the diesel is the way to go, as I don't know anyone who is realy impressed with the 3.2 (and they look pants with the standard wheels). One of my mates has had a few new shape A3's, the best looking one was a 2.0 FSI in Ebony black with 17" alloys, xenons and cream/beige leather. The Mauritius blue A3 with cloth and standard wheels looked so boring....

If it was me I would also opt for DIS (Audi speak for MFA), as I was gutted when I realised my A3 did not have it.

The 3.2TT is in very short supply, would that not be a good bet?

·
Registered
229 Posts
The link wasn't working for me. I reckon the diesel will give the better driving experience and you will also see the benefit at resell. [^]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
You say you hated driving the diesel, so can you drive it for 8 months? Not sure about the 3.2 either though, especially after comments at the Cheshire VAG meet - apparently the power in mine (2.8) comes on tap a lot quicker and from lower revs than in the larger 3.2, and certainly feels quick enough. Which I was very chuffed with obviously. So all that money for a car that you arent 100% on...

Based on all the factors youve described the diesel seems to be the better buy. However why is it between these two cars? Are they that hard to get hold of?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you cut and past the whole address link you will get to see the pictures of it.

The TDi is quite hard to get hold off.

I have to agree with ade, the look of the 3.2 is so plain. Well i will let you know what i decide. But it looks like the TDi

quote:

You say you hated driving the diesel
Never said that mike, in fact in my first post i said i quite liked driving the diesel.

** EDIT ** Sorry Mike i miss typed, i ment to say i enjoyed it. In my earlier post

·
Registered
92 Posts
Personally, I'd go for the diesel [:O]. The V6 just strikes me as being overkill. I think you might have trouble selling it on, whereas you'd have no trouble selling the diesel. The V6 is without doubt a great car - I just wouldn't want to spend my cash buying one and running it.

The driveability of the bigger VR-engines isn't great if they're not running on Optimax. I think the 2.8 has a lower compression ratio, so it's less fussy, but the 170BHP V5, and especially the 3.2 really need Optimax. If there isn't a Shell garage (that isn't ludicrously expensive) near you, this becomes a real pain in the neck. It's not just a cost issue - it's also a convenience issue.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Wish, Im sure you did, lots of editing has gone on up there! [;)] But if you liked it, its even more of a case for the diesel...you know how wet the main dealers get for diesel Golfs / A3s. All Exeter seems to stock in fact

quote:

Originally posted by Stevie P

The driveability of the bigger VR-engines isn't great if they're not running on Optimax. I think the 2.8 has a lower compression ratio, so it's less fussy, but the 170BHP V5, and especially the 3.2 really need Optimax.
I am going to try a tank of optimax net. I cant afford it but I want to see if it makes a difference then.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
There's one sport pack with the A3 where it comes with 17s as standard. Can't remember the name of it though.

At first thought you'd think the 3.2 will hold its value cause of R32 but I wouldn't be so sure. Where as with the diesel you know already it'll hold well.

Bet you wished you'd kept that chip voucher you won now Wish!

BTW red leather can be nice, the Z3 was ok with it IMO.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well looks like my A3 Diesel is only a dream. Cant get one anywhere until the middle of Febuary.. and then i might as well wait for the new Registration in March !

I cant wait that long for a car !

So any idea's. I think ive knocked the 3.2 on the head too as it just dont feel as sporty as it should.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I can ask at a stealers here tomorrow if you like...cheapest pre VRT prices in Europe in this country don't forget!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts