Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 19" BBS ch's arrived last week[:D]

ET 30 and they are 8.5" wide running a 235/35/19" tyre.

My R32 suspension is standard but the tyres are rubbing on the inside of the wheel arches[:'(]

What is up????

I have run 19's before on my mk'4 TDI... and I never had a problem[:S]

Any ideas???? anyone else had the same problem????[:$]

I have lost a load of my tyre sidewall today and I am very stumped.

Cheers

Martyn

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Have you not got spacers? would this help?

I know someone who was running 235's on the front and they would rub without spacers. But he put 225 tyyes on instead which stopped the rubbing, but it must have still been damn close!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spacers would push the wheel closer to the wheel arch[^o)]

I need to go the other way!!![:S] But the strut then gets in the way[:'(]

·
Registered
175 Posts
My Golf is now running 19" with 235 x 35 tyres and no buffing issues although it is only lowered 30-35mm but I can see the possibility of issues with running it lower as my front ones just about sit within the arches

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I had this probem with my old GTI. After having H&R coilovers installed, my ET32 BBS RC's need 5mm spacers to clear the height perches on the coilover struts. This reduced the effective offset of the wheels down to ET27.... Causing the outer edge of the tyre to catch on the metal arch lip, on suspension compression - shredding the corner edge side wall over time.

Two options 1) Have the arches trimmed / rolled... or 2)Run a different tyre, maybe going for a different lower profile.

I ended up getting some 225/45/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres and this sorted the problem. The GSD's had a shallower side wall and this saved the day for me.

Either way its going to cost ya mate [:cool:]

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers tabs...

Looks like I will get them rolled cause I want to run coilovers later on[:p]

Now I peeved off[:'(]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Sorry, got everything the wrong way round, meant to say are you running spacers, if so, get rid, doh [:$] Shows my head is in a different place today!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Cheers tabs...

Get the arches trimmed. Rolling can sometimes lead to paint defects due to the heating process involved.

/Tabs' tip of the day.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I ended up getting some 225/45/18 Goodyear
Eagle F1 tyres and this sorted the problem. The GSD's had a shallower
side wall and this saved the day for me.
Ive got these too and they are the best tyres Ive ever had. Plus the rim protectors are brilliant

Cheers tabs...

Nah, all you need is the guide on VW Fixx telling you how to roll your arches... with a baseball bat! [;)]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Martyn, if you didn't live so far away i'd pull and role your arches F O C. They will go 5mm without any paint problems.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Martyn do you know if anyone other than Carnassour rolls arches or whatever as I could does my front ones as they only just!! go inside the arches does the large  man (Magee) do them in the Car Care centre Lisburn

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Car care centre in lisburn does them...

That was going to be my fist port of call..

The guy in Ballymena does them too[<:eek:)]

Its probably goning to be ?30ish a side[:'(]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts