Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys im new to the forum. Just got a couple of questions you can hopefully help me with.

I recently purchased a golf gti turbo 'S' reg and im not to impressed. Looking at the performance figures compared to the cars i peviously owned i expected the golf to be relitivly quick. Tonight ive just been out with my mate who bought my old mitsubishi colt(1.6 16v). We had a race to about 80 mph and to say im am disappointed would be an understatemnt. The colt stayed with the golf all the way.

There is no warning lights on the dash or any misfires through out the rev range. To be honest you cant even feel the turbo kick in or even hear it for that matter.

Is there something wrong or am i just being paranoid for nothing.

Is the only option a remap?

Ps sorry for all the questions on the first post. Thanks in advance, Casper.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Welcome to the forum Casper (friendly ghost??) [:p]

A remap is your only real option to make your car perform better.

You would probably be best with Upsolute at ?305ish and is performed at your home or place of work by a mobile techincian, Revo is another option at ?399 by one of the many countrywide dealers.

Along with that I would recommend a new exhaust, Milltek would be my suggestion from the turbo back.

An uprated Samco Turbo Inlet Pipe wont do any harm either or a Green Cotton Panel filter.

Get your wallet out!!!

BTW, Im just up the road in Atherton if you ever want a ride in a quicker than standard GTI.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definately will, im out tonight so i'll give you a shout to see what ever times

best for you.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Have a look at the MAF sensor, I bought mine and drove it for a year, thinking it was a legacy of the overweight "Golf" as the press put it. Had a service with an Independent garage, and the techie drove it and thought that it was underperforming badly. Changed the Maf and away we went! Not looked back since, and the Modding started there and then, had it chipped the same day, and the two totally changed the car.

I was well happy with the MAF change, but drove it back home, and rang them back up and did the deed! Bifg smiles all round!

Maf's have reduced a lot in price since then too.

Have fun

Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies but what exactly is a maf sensor and how much are we talking. Also would there not be some kind of warning light if this was faulty.

Forgot to mention its just had a ?900 service, would vw not have noticed the lack off power?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
LOL @ VW noticing anything but the colour of your money!!

A faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor will not always throw a warning light but by logging the Airflow with vagcom we will be able to see how well its performing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi marty i live in hesketh street, just off firs lane about 200m from hulme rd if you dont know it.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by marty on 28/11/2004 19:30:06

hey gary next time im in leigh i will call u up for a spin in yours if u dont mind

Anytime Marty, just give me a shout.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
marty as it so happens i do there both older than me but john is a mate and my cousin was married to andy. What a coincidence.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
marty as it so happens i do there both older than me but john is a mate and my cousin was married to andy. What a coincidence.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts