Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right im in a dilema here,i do a lot of traveling so need sat nav,problem is im lookin at ?750 for an mfd 2 or ?300-400 for a portable nav unit,Now i also want to chip my car which is ?450 with superchips.So i could get the chip and portable nav unit for about the price i would pay for the mfd 2,thing is puttin me of is avin to take the portable nav unit in and out the car every time you leave your vehicle.Ive about about a grand to play with so dont know what to do,,Any suggestions..

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'm currently trying to decide myself, but I haven't got the MFD2 on the short list. It will either be a moterised screen with sat nav or a standard head unit with TOM TOM. The 700 has a built in hard drive and covers europe. It Also has bluetooth. I'd also like to be able to use Sat Nav between the 3 cars. I'd go for TOM TOM and the Chip, any spare change I would put to the new head unit.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Nope, but I know we use the 300 at work (we have 9) and the engineers get on very well with them. Certainly in built up areas. I think the only downside - and this is true of all sat nav systems, is that the route they take you might not always be the way you would go if you knew the area. The other benefit of the TOM TOM is that you can download the speed camera software free (not from tom tom) Both systems have there advantages, the only thing you might want to invest in is a GPS areial. There is a company that advertise in the back of Autocar that sell the 700 for ?550, you can also spread the payments over 9 months (might even be 12) at 0 %

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I like the convenience of my MFD2 sat-nav - it's not perfect though (saftware and features) but it's very solid and reliable.............downside is that i can't take it into another car (easily).

I think the DVD version of the MFD2 (just out now) might be a better bet, but it depends if you want that flexibility I mentioned, or not!.

I was teetering on this decision, and having bought a Go300 for my wife's uncle, I would have no hesitation in spending 360 instead of 750.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Maplin sell the 700 version for ?550 - if you signup for their newsletter they'll send you a voucher for ?50 off anything over ?500 - meaning you can purchase it for ?500 including delivery. If you sign up to one of the web cashback sites (pm me if you need a link) you can get a further 2.5% cashback.

Remember the 700 also has handsfree calling facility via bluetooth as well. I was very tempted by it but in the end wanted the OEM look in my car so went for an MFD2

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I only need sat nav on the odd occasion so I use the Tom Tom 5 software on my PDA. Its not as good as the Pioneer AVIC-X1 I used to have but more than adequate for most occassions. Plus it can be easily taken from car to car. The only downside is that the voice can be difficult to hear over your radio where as the built in units obviously mute the audio when making an instruction. I think Im going to look into one of those Parrot devices that mute the audio and connect the PDA via bluetooth.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I to have been looking around at various options. I am settling on the
TTG 300, and have the option of purchasing at ?314.89p which seems to
be the lowest I have seen it. (Duty free Dixons at Heathrow)

What is the best place/way to mount on e in a MKIV golf. I see you can
get a adhesive mount as well? might be better than stuck to the window.
Any one got any photos of one in their car?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have just gone through the same dillema - MFD2 or TT300 - in the end went for the TT300 - ?369 inc speed camera database preloaded, plus 'free' usb memory card reader, delivered - www.satnavsystems.co.uk. I really couldnt justify ?750 for the MFD2, much as I would have liked to.

It also has bluetooth to link to your mobile if you want it to; so not sure what extra the TT500 gives you ??

Fits very nicely to the windscreen using the suction cup holder thingy, and does not look at all out of place.

I've only used it for 2 (local) journeys so far as my wife snaffled it off my the day after delivery for a trip up North ; but the observations I've made so far are that its OK, but not brilliant.
The map data does not seem quite right - I have found two places where it claims the road layout is different to what it actually is (IE. it sees a road that has no junctions as having a juntion in it directs you down !!; and a double mini roundabout that it sees as a normal non-roundabout junction)
Also, although you can do postcode entry, it only observes the first half of the post code and you have to know the street name and number. EG. the postcode GU14 9EZ specifies a street and a handull of houses within the street. The TT will only observe GU14 9, and then you have to tell it the street and number. Whilst this does not sound like a big issue, its a right pain ! Very often you only have the postcode and not the street. TT insists you give it all the info, so if you dont know the street or number, you either have to guess or you are stuck !!

Other than that, it seems a top bit of kit though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts