Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, got my laptop that i bought off ebay this morning (thinkpad t20).

Im impatient, and im waiting for a dvd drive to arrive tomorrow (it
currently only has the floppy drive tray), but id like to have it all
installed and running if poss.

Is there ANY way to install XP without a cd-rom?? Its running 2000 at
the minute, and its on my home network so can recieve files.

If not no worries, just thought id ask. [:)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
copy the cd across the network or just share your pc's cd drive over the network and run the installation to upgrade
Don't think the network drive would work, as when it reboots it would lose its connection.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
You could take out the hard drive and install it on another laptop if you have one. I would wait though. Have patience! [:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
You could take out the hard drive and install it on another laptop if you have one. I would wait though. Have patience! [:D]
Different motherboards etc mean nasty surprises when you plug the hard drive back in and no CD drive to install the drivers that are now needed for the new laptop!

And before you go down the route of 'another one the same' thats sily, cus you could just take the CD drive out! [:p]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
That is true. However, if you can get it running and communicating over a network, then the drivers could be shared and installed from another PC. [:p]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Also, if he has a network, he could download the driver on to floppy on his ither computer to get it working [<:eek:)]
Is this all after he has taken 2 laptops apart etc?!
Why would he need to take his laptops apart other than to swap over a hard drive?

I have, in the past been in this exact predicament and have installed XP on a laptop drive which had np CD ROM on another laptop. The operating system installed several drivers, but the network components were installed via floppy. When it was networked after that, it was plain sailing [:D]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
lol this is getting out of hand.

he would have his drive by the time we decide the best course of action
Agreed! The reason I said have patience! It is a pain doing it the way I mention above but can work.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Crikey i only just got it guys, i aint pulling it apart! (yet)

Tis okay, i just wondered if there was a simple way to do it, the DVD
drive should be with me tomorrow so itll all be sorted out.

Ta for the replies tho [:D]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Actually, you will find that taking out the hard drive will most likely be pretty simple Chris. It will most likely be in a cradle specific to the laptop though.

Wait til tomorrow though!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts