Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys

wanting to get a spare key for my car. Its a 1998 tdi golf 110bhp with the flip 2 button key. I bought a new blade and had the key cut and got a second hand remote fob (so i have a full key but no transponder)

could someone please tell me what transponder i need? and a link maybe to where i can get one from?

cheers in advance

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers guys, thats all i need to know. I knew there was a key thread on here just couldnt find it, will order a new transponder from hickleys now and get it coded

thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Fella i see your car a 1998 unless you have bought the newer style key you can use the replacement key exsisting transponder as the older one doesn't need to be new.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh right can i old key transponder be recoded? I've misplaced the second hand key which i bought.. will be somewhere, just orderd a new transponder from hickleys, was only £10 deliverd so not tooo bad.

am i right in thinking, new transponder in the new top half of the key with the key cut to my ignition.. then clip second hand bottom on, take it to someone with vagcom & vagtacho and can code it and will start and work fine?

·
Diesel isn't a dirty word
11,031 Posts
oh right can i old key transponder be recoded? I've misplaced the second hand key which i bought.. will be somewhere, just orderd a new transponder from hickleys, was only £10 deliverd so not tooo bad.

am i right in thinking, new transponder in the new top half of the key with the key cut to my ignition.. then clip second hand bottom on, take it to someone with vagcom & vagtacho and can code it and will start and work fine?
If you look at the FAQ it will show you how the key is assembled [y]

You need to put the new blade in the bottom half of the flip key, open the bottom half and put the new transponder in there replacing the old one. Then put the top half on and then get coded to immobiliser and the remote [y]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts