Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was well chuffed with my purchase .. and this being my first ever VW i didnt know whatsoever about it..

but thanks to this site .. now i am realising air filter box could be missing from under my bonnet.

i bought a mk4 1.6 16v SE , 5 dr model.

Wondered if anyone could be kind enough to post a picture of their engine comartment so i can see .. actually what are the bits that are missing

And thats why i think the engine light has come on ... damn i am doomed.. help

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm !! i was going thru how to ..section and the air filter DIY pics showed a air filter box next to the battery and the area near battery in my car has got no box [help]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
phew !!! [:$]

i am embarrased to be such a noob but hey u dont ask u dont know hehe

any chance of pics .. ta

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Engine Cover" really should just mean a cover for the engine, rather than be aan integral part.

And that gap in your engine bay is rather disconcerting to me, but then a 1.6 isn't going to need a huge amount of space.
i got worried and still am worried ... wonder where is the air filter in my engine bay if there is one .. otherwise i am going to sue the seller

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
your air filter is at the back of the engine, the big black box houses the filter

apart from having alot of back to black sprayed on it, its all there. i used to have exactly the same engine in my car

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers mate!!

but but where is the air filter [^o)].. is it under the plastic cover ??

i was thinking maybe get a k&n panel filter once i find the stock filter

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
actualy, just spotted one thing. its very very minor and probably wore apart over time but there should be a hose going from the heat sheild over the exhaust to the box half way up your intake pipe

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Posted Image

the red is circling the airbox, your air filter is inside that box

in yellow is the route the missing pipe should take

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
your air filter is at the back of the engine, the big black box houses the filter

apart from having alot of back to black sprayed on it, its all there. i used to have exactly the same engine in my car
thanks mate .. at least i can rest assured there is one

the bucket loads of back to black is the dealers fault .. i only had it for couple of days .. you can tell [:D]

i am shocked at the response time in this forum .. this is unrealistically ... AWESOMMEEE !!

thanks to all for guiding me thru my first hurdle ,,, plenty more to jump it seems

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

the red is circling the airbox, your air filter is inside that box

in yellow is the route the missing pipe should take

what does that missing pipe do ?? is it FATAL not to have it.

and if anyone could care to point me towards the site or trader i can buy one from .. that would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
i wouldnt bother doing anything about it, mine became a bit tatty and just took it off.

what it does is when the engine is cold, the pipe ducts warm air from around the exhaust into the inlet meaning the engine warms up faster. when the air gets too hot, a little flap inside that box closes off the duct.

unless you want a totaly oem engine bay, it will be just fine as is

you could get one from various places, but for what it will probably cost, dealers will be your best bet

1 - 20 of 22 Posts