Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
I was on my way home this everning and i have broken down. PLEASE HELP.
I was driving along and the alternater light came on (battery logo) so i pulled over and had a look, but could not find anything wrong. i carried on drive and the seat belt and ABS lights came on to. 5mins later i lost power and the oil and hand brake lights came on and the car died. i pulled over into a bus stop and tried to start the car but with no luck. i checked the fuses but none had blown. i then jump started the car but still with no luck would not even turn over. so i bump started it and it run, as soon as i turned the lights on the car died again. i have parked my car in a layby so i need it fixed quick.
PLEASE HELP?

·
Registered
393 Posts
At a guess I'd say your alternator has died, have a look at it in daylight and check whether the alternator drive belt is still on and there are no obvious wires missing, call out the AA or RAc and get them to run a test on it, they'll be able to tell you if its charging or not (i'm guessing you may have cover)

If not I'm sure someone here will be anle to tell you hw to run a test on the alternator

·
Registered
414 Posts
The exact thing happened to me after I changed my cambelt. The altenator earth lead had shorted to the block, and blew one of the 110Amp strip fuses just on top of the battery. Are these the fuses you've checked already?

Andy

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
Ditto the above really,your alternator isn't providing the power to run the car which it should do AND charge the battery at the same time,everything is purely running from the battery.So even if you bump start it,they'll be nothing to make the spark or pwer the fuel pump etc until it's got some charge in it.

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, it is the alternator. i have found a new one for my car ?140 i just need some help to fit it. has anyone got a how to guide?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i have fitted a brand new alternator, checked every fuses in the car. i then connected up the jump leads between my car and another car and left it to run for about 20mins. after all that still no change. my only other idea is that the battery is completely dead. i do not have anything to test the battery. so i am going to get a new battery tomorrow.
Has anyone got any other ideas.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Take the battery out the car and to any garage/halfords, they'll have a
battery tester, but I'd expect is dead.With a new alternator your best
to use a new battery, as one dead cell in the battery can wear out the
alternator much quicker

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, i have now fitted a new fuses on the battery it is is running without the battery logo on.i have know got the abs and flash hand brake light. i need to know quickly whether i can drive it.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
*Edited*

Should be ok.Did you remove any fuses when the ignition was on ?
My abs light came on when i changed my pads and broke the wire on the abs sensor.Stayed on after
fixing but cleared itself after driving for about 5 mins.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
And you havnt knocked any wires whilst fitting the alternator? Are the Abs Sensors connected properly ?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Have a look on the pic on this thread. May just be coincidence that the sensor has buggered up.but if you cannot
see and problems with the sensor or wiring id suggest getting it on Vag.com to clear the fault.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts