Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car used to remind me that I'd left my headlights on when opening the door after taking the key out of the ignition.

It stopped doing this recently. I've checked all the fuses and done a quick forum search but I'm out of ideas.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
59 Posts
This happened on wifey's polo recently. Needed a whole new dash pod I'm afraid as the buzzer is not a separate component. Thankfully ours was a warranty job.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Could also be a problem with the door switch (part of lock module) - does the door light at the bottom of the door come on when the door is opened? If not then the switch is faulty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Indeed. A good test would be to see if you still get the handbrake warning beep as this uses the same 'buzzer' and therefore would help identify where the fault lies.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Hi, I had exactly this problem with my 4motion not so long ago. It took three visits to local stealers to eventually get it sorted... The problem was supposedly intermittent according to them as far as I was concernened when you took the key out of the ignition left the lights on and opended the drivers door the buzzer should have worked... it didnt and I had to sit a 'techie' in the passenger seat to demonstrate this for him to believe me. [V] Anyway long story short, eventually they sorted it under warranty... isolated it to a switch in the drivers door think... you will certainly not need a new dash, and also I don't think the Mk4 uses the same buzzer as for the Handbrake/boot open/ passenger door open sound, it is more of a hollow drone!!! I'm popping into stealers tommorrow ans will ask them to bring up the repair details for me. Soon as I have them will give you the proper answer. Annoying when u 4get to turn your lights off and your battery goes dead isn't it!!!![V]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The light at the bottom of the door still works as does the central locking/alarm etc..

Evilhomer, that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

This place is great!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: posted by bungle on 01/11/2004 19:58:05

Indeed. A good test would be to see if you still get the handbrake warning beep as this uses the same 'buzzer' and therefore would help identify where the fault lies.

Handbrake warning beep ??????

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Yup, certainly on my 4motion, if you leave the handbrake slightly on the car flashes up a message on the dashboard display and beeps at you!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mines never done than (that I can recall). I think I get a light on the dash but certainly no beep. Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just been out in the car again and the light at the bottom of the driver doors does not work now either. Anyone have the details of the switch/module I need to replace.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Make sure the bulb hasn't gone first (by coincidence). Also if you give the door a hit it may come back on if the lock module has an intermittent contact.

Here is a good guide for taking the lock module out to repair or replace (click on photos to enlarge) :

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmechanism/

NB. Part numbers are for Passat, might be different on Golf. Everything else apart from the internal door trim is the same.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Morse, apologies, myplans to get to stealers were hindered today, intending on doing same tommorrow. Will do my best to get info for ya.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andy, I will check the bulb and the fuses again to make sure. Much easier than changing the lock module by all accounts.

Many thanks for the link which I'd just stumbled across on vortex.

Homer, no worries. I appreciate the help.

If the lock module has gone I supposed it would be a good time to de-lock as well....

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I know it's taken a while, and you have probably sorted the problem now but VW have erased my log from their computer!!!! [:O] bizarre.. however the mechanic who did the job was there to speak to (after I proved to him that i did genuinely have a problem with it)

He told me the problem ended up being the drivers door lock mechanism. I think it caused some kind of electrical fault... If you have a warrenty, then they should sort this at stealers, however as I wasn't sure when I told him that 'a mate was having the same problem' the guy tried to offer me a foreigner for lot's less money!!! so if you are anywhere near Crewe stealers LC Charles, then I can pass you his contact number and he will do the job cheap!!! (Apparently a fiddly job??)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Many thanks Evilhomer. Much appreciated. I did a bit of research, checked all the fuses and bulbs again and came to the same conclusion as you. I bought the door lock module from the stealers yesterday (?85) (with the de-lock kit) and with the help of the vwvortex guide, I'm going to try and fit it this weekend (weather permitting).

I'll post up the details once I get it sorted.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
No Probs Morse, anytime.. at least what ive told you confirms your thoughts. [:D] Good Luck.. personally I would have done the job myself too... Stealers mechanics... like trained monkeys!!! that's an offence to monkeys!!![:eek:)]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts