Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

I have been having problems with my golf since the day I got it, bills for this car have basically wiped out any spafre cash for me over christmas, and the problem still isnt solved. Ill try to explain the faults as best I can. The car is a 2001 mk4 gttdi 115.

Car starts overheating, check and is losing coolant, took it the garage and they found a split hose, repaired it and car was fine for a few days.

Then the temp on the gauge starts acting strangely, temp reading goes up faster than normal, then drops once car slows down, starts to creep past the middle and overheat, in car heating goes stone cold. Took it to garage, they did a block test and couldnt find any fumes in exhaust. They are 90% certain it is the waterpump as common fault, so need to have that replaced with cambelt at same time. Also had to replace tensioner as it was knackered. Get car back and is fine for a few days.

Car starts showing same symptoms as last time, gauge, no heating, etc but there is pressure in top rad hose, and bottom hose is stone cold, as is radiator. Take it back in, they say they have to replace rad as it looks like it is blocked with radseal from previous owners repairs. They tried to flush it out but couldnt, so radiator and thermostat got replaced. Car seems fine for a few days.

Just started doing the same thing again!!!!! this car is starting to drive me insane, The garage said last time the only other thing they can think of is the heater matrix will need replacing, which will involve taking the full dash out.

Has anyone got any ideas? even though they said block test showed fine is there any other way to test headgasket? car had HG replaced by VW a few years ago. Other than that is there a diy anywhere for changing heater matrix/ removing dash?

[email protected]£$$%%^^

·
Diesel isn't a dirty word
11,031 Posts
The dash has to come out to get the heater out to change the matrix, have a read of this thread [y]

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/254098.aspx

Do you have water in the oil? a sniff test isn't a 100% way of diagnosing a head gasket.

Can't see the heater matrix causing the fluctuating guage, try bypassing it by joining the two connections together, you will have no heat in the cabin but you will see if it has any effect on temp guage. Have you changed the temp sensor?

Neil

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Wow i am amazed at reading that post, i think your problem may of been the split hose in the begining and they never blead the cooling system correctly causing alot of money to be spent for nothing, i could be wrong and there is something eles, but i doubt it off your post

If you are anywhere near manchester area bring it to me and i will diagnose the fault for free seeing as the amount of money you have spent

waterpump,timing belt,tensioner, what a joke this garage is

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i wouldnt have thought it would be an air lock, the system was fully flushed and filled and bled when the rad was changed, and the level looks the same in the expansion tank. Driving the car it starts to overheat and then when I slow down a little it cools but there is a strange smell coming in through the vents then!

thanks for the offer lee, i'll drop you a pm in the week [:D]

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
i wouldnt have thought it would be an air lock, the system was fully flushed and filled and bled when the rad was changed, and the level looks the same in the expansion tank. Driving the car it starts to overheat and then when I slow down a little it cools but there is a strange smell coming in through the vents then!

thanks for the offer lee, i'll drop you a pm in the week
The point is was it bleed correctly, honestly mate it counts, it still sounds like it as air in it after your recent post, butr i may be wrong

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, well if your willing to have a look still Pm me your details and when would be best if you dont mind, im near to manchester myself so wouldnt be too far.

If the pressure stays in the system even after the car has cooled down would this be an indication of headgasket failure? where else could the extra pressure come from?

thanks for all the help so far, its been great, although not exactly how I envisioned spending christmas day!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I took it back into the garage today, only the mechanic was working, not the owners who I have been dealing with previously. Left it with him, got a call to say he can now find exhaust gases in the coolant, head gasket is knackered! So I have basically given them all the money to change the other parts and it looks like it was that all along. Does anybody have any idea where I stand with this, or is it just money down the drain now?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts