Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got the car on the rollers today and the guy struggled at first to find peak power then it seemed to hit 144.3kw whatever the hell that means . but unfortunatly the main problem was when he took his foot of there was a loud bang and oil pissing from the gear box . we can only assume that the gearbox bounced of the floor and oil was pissing out. no shaft damage so thought it could be just a seal but dropping the oil there was small filings which doesnt look good. what i want to know is what gearboxes will fit this as a straight swap, i know the six speed from the 130/150 are easily available overhere but do they require adaptation or allot of extra labour to fit. plus are the ratios different in the six speed box i.e if its longer will it spread the tourque out more. or is there any other 5 speed boxes that will fit that are strong enough or as strong as the one i had . i just ask because i need the car back for the weekend and a guiy round the coprner has a s election of boxes on the shelf so the more options i have the quicker i can get this fixed. cheers

·
Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS
1,870 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers mate that helps quicken the process i think. its better that i stick with the 5 speed for best overall cost and quickness back on the road . 650 + perfoemance clutch plus labour is getting expensive . the only other option is recondition . if its costs as ,much to recon my old box as buy a second hand one might be worth while having one thats i know is in good order

1 - 3 of 3 Posts