Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

HELP - Changing gearbox oil

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
8K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  HuDSoN 
#1 ·
Hi All

I want/need to change my gearbox oil, I know its meant to be oiled for life but I think mine needs a top up at least.

I have looked in the haynes manual and it doesnt quite seem to match up with what I have got and it doesnt example which parts it means, so I need your help.

My gearbox code is: DLP

(any info on this gearbox?)

Posted Image

is A the filing cap? When I look in here it seems very dry. What I read about the filler cap says put in oil until it just starts to over flow from the filler cap. If its not the filler then what is it?

is B the filing cap, this would make more sense about it just overflowing but would that not be a bit hard to pour oil into? also what is the black cap just about it?

Posted Image

C seems to be the area that gets covered in oil. could this be another problem. also under the car at the C area is another plug that looks like a sump, I assume this is the gearbox oil dran?

Posted Image

Sorry for all the questions, I hope you can help.

See less See more
#3 ·
(A) looks like the blanking bung for where you check the timing on the flywheel/crank markings. (B) looks more like the refil plug but its hard to tell what the location of it is by the pics but usually they are roughly half way up gearbox. If it looks remotely like the drain bung then crack it open!

If it dosnt drip any oil then stick your finger in and if its down a bit , top it up . You can put the oil in slowly using a syringe or fast by getting a pump.

#4 ·
Hi Trollgeddon

I think you are spot on about (A), as i can see a large disc like think inside, just didnt click what it would be.

(B) is where you are saying it is. see the lip of metal above the plug in the pic of (B), thats the round washer looking thing in the labeled up overall view.

#5 ·
Paul.. remember that family friend I said lives just round the corner from you in Hawk**** ?  Well, he runs south east transmissions in cheriton.  You want his number, as he does LOADS of vw work ?  Sup to you.  Drop me a text if you do and i'll put you in touch.

#6 ·
Would that be:

South Eastern Transmissions Ltd

Tudor Works, Tudor Rd, Cheriton, Folkestone, Kent CT19 4HJ

Tel: 01303 278616
Classification: Gear Box Manufacturers & Repairs

good old yell.com.

I think i will be ok for now as the leaking seems to be less, the counterblance often used to get covered in oil but that seems ok now, although it could be because it lacking oil. guess i will find out when i open up the plug, just need to get hold of a m17 nut.

after all this its prob fine as i have yet to have any running problems, maybe it was over filled by vw at some point and just leaked the excess.

#7 ·
Would that be:

South Eastern Transmissions Ltd

Tudor Works, Tudor Rd, Cheriton, Folkestone, Kent CT19 4HJ

Tel: 01303 278616
Classification: Gear Box Manufacturers & Repairs

good old yell.com.

I think i will be ok for now as the leaking seems to be less, the counterblance often used to get covered in oil but that seems ok now, although it could be because it lacking oil. guess i will find out when i open up the plug, just need to get hold of a m17 nut.

after all this its prob fine as i have yet to have any running problems, maybe it was over filled by vw at some point and just leaked the excess.
That's the kiddie !

#8 ·
These gearboxe`s cannot be over-filled unless they found somekind of way to fill it from the top but noone would do that tbh.

You will be able to buy the tool for the plugs from any general motor store for a couple of pence. If is is low make sure you put the correct oil back in [:)]

#9 ·
went to buy a dran key tonight. no chance. it needs something about 26mm. the max at halfords was 17mm. this thing is massive. even tried a nut for a M14 bolt but that was just too small.

got another place in mind.

are all vw gearbox plugs this size?

#16 ·
According to the info I have you should have an 02K box (should be stamped on the end of the box casing). The filler requires a 17mm hexagon socket and should be just in front of the driveshaft, turn the wheel to full lock left and you should be able to see it. Plug should be 25Nm to re-tighten it.

No official VW details for changing the oil - only for checking the level.

#17 ·
The fill plug is the obvious plug with a recessed hexagonal head, in the end of the gearbox. In the diagram above it is close to the digit 7 - note, not the bolt that is numbered 7, just that the 7 is the nearest identifiable label close to it. It is a combination filler/level plug, when the car is parked on level ground, the gearbox should be filled until oil just starts to trickle from the filler.

I'm pretty certain that the oil drain plug is in the bottom of the differential housing, as that is the lowest part of the transmission. Again it should be an obvious plug.

It should need 1.7 litres to fill.

#18 ·
This thread has prompted me to check mine again.

Mine is an 02M 6 speed. and this is how to do it....

Posted Image

For the 02M you will need a 14mm hex bit (from Halfords, about ?3.50)

I used ;

14mm hex bit, 3/8 drive.

2.5" 3/8 extension bar

3/8 to 1/2 converter

and a 1/2 breaker bar.

[edit] you can also see the drain plug on the bottom, which is also a 14mm hex.

#19 ·
thanks.

i have located it now. the main problem was part of the engine under tray side plastic was covering it up.

still not sure how to tackle it as the plastic is screwed in from the engine side so would have to remove battery etc to get to it. may just bend or slightly cut it.

however it is right by the '7' as you pointed out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.