Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently got an Audi TT, which I need to sell as I've been relocated in work.

I was thinking of buying a MK4 Golf, but I may be able to afford a MK5.

I know I need to check that the cambelt & water pump have been changed, and the service history.

Can yo let me know what else I should be looking out for? Are there any particular questions I should be asking?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
you just gotta look out for the usual, make sure all the the paper work is in order, check the mot's. if the seller doesnt have old mots tel him/her you can get them from the dvla site. it will help them and you.

Everyone knows what a engine should sound like diesel and petrol, if it dont right it probably aint right.

ask if the car has had any repair work done to it

if the clutch biting point is all the way up it will be needing a new clutch

There are loads of damaged repaired cars around so its best to check properly and check again, the trick is to check the lines of the doors where the meet other panels (where the bonnet meets the wing, door to wing and so on) make sure the gaps are consistent, not to close not too far apart its a dead giveaway when panels have been changed, and always do the hpi check last, as it costs £3, i personally text the reg number to 83600, costs £3 if you do it for several cars it does mount up, in most cases sellers do provide hpi certificates check the dates on the certificate could be last years certificate.

·
Registered
882 Posts
There are known issues with cracked / porous cylinder heads on the early VAG 2.0 tdi engines. Plenty of specific information on the web, and as far as I can gather it primarily affects 2004/2005 models.

Happy hunting!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts