Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Help.... build time?

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Mark V 
#1 ·
Right I ordered a GTi, (black [H]you know its the best). a while ago(Early March) for a sept 1st delivery. Was told no problem.

Still havent had a build date etc, how long does it take too build. i.e when is the latest it would need to be started so I still get it 1st Sept.

Dealer seems to be avoiding me[8o|], so he no help!

your help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#4 ·
I ordered week 8 and got a build week of week 21 - seems a fairly typical wait time (13-14 weeks). From recollection I had to wait about 8-10 weeks before I found out what my build week was.

Based on other peoples experiences in this and other forums delivery is usually 2-3 weeks after the build week so in your case that means your build week would be around week 32. Extrapolating back this means you'll probably be able to find your build week at the end of June beginning of July....

#6 ·
The dealer will quote a approximate delivery time like 12 weeks, once the car is scheduled into production they will give an "anticipated" delivery date to dealer although this isn't cast in stone. From being built to getting to the dealer takes 3-4 weeks, sometimes quicker sometimes its slower. At the end of the day its about supply/demand and with the GTi demand outstrips supply. Be patient with your dealer, its not always there fault !

#7 ·
Having paid the ?1000 deposit in March and offered the car late July we asked to hold off for September 1st for the new plate.

Having hassled for a build date etc it now turns out that the order hasn't even been placed even though the deposit was paid over 3 months ago! Have been told that there not sure when they can place an order for a car as they only get a certain allocation and at present have a list of over 20 orders to place that they cant place yet!!!

Now the only reason we placed the order was due to the discount offered, is it common practice to take a deposit without even placing an order and more to the point still not placing an order 3 months later!

Have now spoken to our local dealer and they can order one today and get it in 14 weeks time, but at full price so we will lose out on the ?1200 discount we had been offered by the other dealer!

Should we just get our deposit back and order from the local dealer and swallow the loss of discount or wait out and see if/when the original dealer can get us a car. xmas anyone!

Anyone else had problems like this, I can name and shame the dealer if need be! Wankers!

#8 ·
Having paid the ?1000 deposit in March and offered the car late July we asked to hold off for September 1st for the new plate.

Having hassled for a build date etc it now turns out that the order hasn't even been placed even though the deposit was paid over 3 months ago! Have been told that there not sure when they can place an order for a car as they only get a certain allocation and at present have a list of over 20 orders to place that they cant place yet!!!

Now the only reason we placed the order was due to the discount offered, is it common practice to take a deposit without even placing an order and more to the point still not placing an order 3 months later!

Have now spoken to our local dealer and they can order one today and get it in 14 weeks time, but at full price so we will lose out on the ?1200 discount we had been offered by the other dealer!

Should we just get our deposit back and order from the local dealer and swallow the loss of discount or wait out and see if/when the original dealer can get us a car. xmas anyone!

Anyone else had problems like this, I can name and shame the dealer if need be! Wankers!
I was under the impression that it is illegal for the dealer to take a deposit without ordering the goods. I would go in the showroom on a very busy day and talk loudly about how long it is taking. when you paid your deposit you should have been given a contact that has a rough delivery date on it. If it is significantly longer than this then you should kick up a real stink.

#9 ·
Thats the problem its not a local dealer so all was dealt with by emails/phone and by post. So I cant go into the dealer heavy handed and tell him what I think of him! [:mad:]

Anyone got any ideas how I can at least get my deposit back so I can order with the local dealer. and then maybe try to get some compensation from VW.

#11 ·
GTi lead time is anything from 3 - 4 months at the point of ordering. If he has taken your ?1000 deposit he HAS to have ordered the car and you should have received a confirmation order and paperwork confirming the deposit paid and the spec of your car. If you have ordered this through an internet broker then you should have been told by now who your supplying dealership is and can contact them at your leisure as your contract of sale is with the VW dealership.

#12 ·
It is direct to a VW delear, but we havent never had an order placed even though we paid the deposit early March. So I have no confirmation number etc of the order as the order dosen't exist!

All we have is a receipt for the ?1000. We have contacted the dealer and they still havent ordred the car today! And cant as they dont have any more allocation, they even tried to get us to write to VW to get there allocation upped, as if!

They have 16 on the list before our car can even be ordered but we werent told this in March if we had been then we would have ordered locally and had the car for 1st September no problem at all.

#13 ·
I was going to order through Reg Vardy in Leicester back in February for an anticpated June/July Delivery they were introduced bia carfile and were offering 5% discount. The chap I spoke to said that he could'nt gaurantee delivery by that date but becuase of my insurance situation was prepared to refund my deposit if the car was going to be much later than July. Is it the same dealer you paid your deposit to?

In any case I should think that you'd be able to get your deposit back without any problems especially as they haven't even ordered it yet so haven't really incurred any costs.

#15 ·
Yes it was Reg Vardy in Leicester!!!

They never told us about not being able to deliver for 1st September.

Have spoken to local delear and ordered the same spec from them at full price for a delivery end of Sept/early Oct i.e 14 weeks time.

They have said that we can have our deposit back if Reg Vardy come up with the goods, if not we will get our deposit back from Reg Vardy and just lose out on the discount that we had been given.

Good start to the first purchase of a VW!

#16 ·
Still chasing Reg Vardy about the order, basically they have still got 13 people on the list before my order can even be placed, they get allocated 3 Gti's per month so with half a brain thats 4 months time before they can even place and order then 3/4 months from order to delivery so Im looking at Jan/Feb 2006!! We placed an order 3 March 2005!.

Fortunately we have managed to order from elsewhere.

Anyone else ordered from Reg Vardy still waiting could be in for a long wait!

Got Trading Standards on the case so hopefully might get some compensation from them!

#17 ·
Have got to say in defence of Reg Vardy Leicester, I got my car from exactly the same place, and I can in no way fault their service. It seems you have been pretty unlucky here, and maybe I had all the luck! They said it would take about 12 weeks for mine, and all in all, it actually arrived before the 12 weeks were up. I ordered beginning of Jan and took delivery at the start of March.

I hope all works out for you though, no matter how long it takes the Mk V GTI is worth waiting for...

#18 ·
I sincerely hope you have learned a lesson from this debacle.  If you order a new car and pay a deposit you have entered into a contract.  As such you should ensure that the terms of that contract are put down in writing at the time.  Important matters such as what car you have ordered, how much it is costing, what extras you have chosen etc all need to be in writing along with the estimated delivery date. If the dealer is not prepared to do this - walk away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.