Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has been running really well since I got it but whilst driving back just now the power felt lumpy. So I kept the car in 2nd and kept my foot at a consistent pressure, the car accelerated but it was kind of lumpy (like when you brake with warped discs).

I tried putting my foot down to see what would happen and the car kicked out some smoke, didnt accelerate and then made a faint grinding noise for a second.

The car still drives ok (can hear turbo/no smoke/no strange noises on tickover) if I feather the throttle but as soon as I put my foot down it'll just die.

I am in no way mechanically minded with engines but the thing it reminds me of is when you stick too much choke on a generator/mower etc...

Car is 2001 GTTDI 115.

Any ideas? Really hoping this wont be expensive [:(]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a little update, booked the car in for vagcom tomorrow with garage and spoke to mate who had similar problem. He said the garage told him they told one of the lads to take the car out for a proper blast to clear all the crap out of the turbo. Apparently that solved the problem for him.

Only when Ive put my foot down this afternoon I get a cloud of dark smoke behind me.

Would going for a long drive really help? bearing in mind its difficult to get up to speed because of the lack of power...[:S]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I left the car overnight and tried this morning. Still got the same problem. If I put my foot down the car stutters and jumps about.

Took the MAF sensor off and the car was down on power compared to a running sweetly 115 tdi but it was really smooth, no jerking no smoke. Could this mean MY MAF sensor need replacing?

I put MAF sensor back on afterwards and the problems returned.

Can anybody please shed some light? Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scanned at garage and they found no fault codes, they also noticed the boost pipe had come loose, all fixed for free!! [:)]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts