Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends.

I have been tearing my hair out over this for a few days. I have fitted 312mm discs\calipers\pads to my car (Golf MK4 1.4) everything went fine until it was time to bleed the system. I have tried the old school method of pumping the brake pedal, and also using Gunsons Eezibleed. I still have sufficient stopping power, however there is much more pedal travel than before with the standard fs3 setup.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Is it just a case of keep bleeding, ive been at it for a long time and probably went through a good 2-3 litres of brake fluid.

Ive heard talk of using vagcom to bleed the abs system, and bigger master cylinders.

Dan

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are no leaks in the system, my fs3 setup was working fine (yes i know why did i bother!) and there are no leaks in the new hoses. The fluid level is topped up and is just under the MAX pointer on the master cylinder resevoir.

There must be a reason for such a low pedal.

hi mate, how did you get the 312's to fit the 1.4? iv been told i need new hubs, is this right?

cheers, Matt.
Hi Matt,

That is correct, you need 1.8t hubs or the equivalent.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you bleed the master cylinder ?
In a word, no. I didnt think that this was necessary. However if you can detail the procedure for me i will give it a go.

I can see two bleed nipples, open them both at once? one at a time? if so which one first?

Thanks for you help mate.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Ive heared that trying to bleed the brakes by pumping the brake pedal can damage the internal rubber seal of

the master cylinder so avoid doing this.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive heared that trying to bleed the brakes by pumping the brake pedal can damage the internal rubber seal of

the master cylinder so avoid doing this.
I have heard this too Mo, but i did it anyway as i didnt have a pressure bleeding kit at this point.

Can anyone tell me how to bleed the master cylinder, is it just a case of opening each bleed nipple in turn. Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
857 Posts
two reasons.

A. They look better, iv got 18's so the standard brakes look plain silly

B. Its nice to know you can stop a bit quicker if you need to in an emergancy [Y]

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some good reasons Matt, i will try and get a pic up at some point, although im sure if you browse some of the pictures on the forum you will get an idea of what they look like under 18" wheels.

As for stopping, they slow the car down seriously fast. The original setup wasnt that good in my opinion.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
did you put the calipers on the right side?

the bleed nipple needs to be at the top.
Hi mate, bleeding the master cylinder sorted it out.

Golfturbo: They have been sitting in a box for 6months, im glad ive finally had the time to bolt them on. Definately a good buy!

Dan

·
Registered
72 Posts
Danj,

Do you mind if a ask a question?

Are you going to be putting the 256mm vented disc's on the rear anytime?

I'm going to be doing the 312mm fronts sometime next year on my 1.6. I know it needs 1.8T hubs along with all the usual suspects of parts, cailpers & carriers etc... but was considered doing the rears in order to have a better balance of braking front to rear.

Looking at the VW driver mag upgrade for their 1.8T the only additional part outside the normal brake elements were 6mm spacers for the caliper, I still not clear that you might be able to get 1.8t Anni versary rear cailipers & carriers and not need the spacer. I wondered if you knew and if there were any other parts required for a 1.4/1.6 upgrade at the rear as well, as with the hubs for the front?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
two reasons.

A. They look better, iv got 18's so the standard brakes look plain silly

B. Its nice to know you can stop a bit quicker if you need to in an emergancy [Y]
Agree with both those points ! The car be it a 1.4 or a 1.8T is still gonna be heavy, I can't imagine how inadequate the 1.4/1.6 brakes must be, my 288mm discs were bad enough ! The 312 mm should be a standard part imo.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
"Not wishing to cause offence, but why would you need 312mm brakes on a 1.4? "

I dont see where engine capacity comes into this at all?

The brakes are slowing down the weight of the vehicle.

Doesn't matter if its a 1.4 or a 1.8T braking from 70 with 312 brake's they are both going to stop at the same time give or take a few fractions of a second.

Unless of course you brake while accelerating at the same time that is.

*Shakes Stick at Tylerama* beat me to it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cyrix,

I agree the won't stop it any quicker in reality, from an asthetics point of view putting bigger wheels on and having 10p peices for discs makes the car look stupid, additionally rather than stopping the vehicle any quicker the real safety benefit is that bigger discs will reduce brake fade and if you have to stop from reasonable high speed on the motorway and end up with the pedal slowly dying away you know how scary that can be.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts