Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, was wondering if anyone had any experience with a passats?

We have not long ago bought a 1998 Passat sport 1.8T estate with 55k genuine dealer stamped miles. The car has had a bit of a musty smell which was being masked by some over powering fragrant gravel in the ashtrays; I couldn't smell it, but my other half said it was damp somewhere. At first we put it down to the fact it had just been valeted and wasn't completely dry when we picked it up. But some further research has shown up that the seal around the pollen filter seems to be prone to perishing and the water from the windscreen can work it's way down into the passenger footwell and mess up the convenience module.

So we set about taking it apart this morning to find that half the module wasn't plugged in... can anyone tell me what the plug that is un-plugged would control - the second picture shows the one that was unplugged. (I don't have a haynes manual yet), or whether a new unit would need to be coded to the car?

I've found a few on eBay which are the same part number apart from the last letter - does the replacement need to be exactly the same number or can it have a different ending letter?

Here are some pics as we took it apart - incidentally it was under quite a bit of water and the module was also full of it... so I'm guessing we will deffo need to replace....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also every time we drain the water, the footwell is filling up again - any idea where this may be coming from?

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
A very common problem with every A4,A6 and Passat ever made I'm afraid.That CCM doesn't look right for your car though,all the ones I've seen in a similar wet state have three or more plugs.In fact I'm pretty sure the 1JO part of the part number makes it a Golf CCM[facepalm]?

As far as I'm aware it always comes in via the pollen filter,maybe worth checking the housing isn't damaged.

Chris.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is quite an early B5 though, all similar pictures we've been able to find have two plugs. Although I think you're right about a golf one having been used.

The work has obviously been done before as the current CCM has silicon around it like someone has tried to seal it up.

We've also found this morning that the drain channel is blocked so cleared that all out and hoping to replace the gasket for the pollen filter and seal with silicon so there's no more ingress, but worried about it happening again.

It looks like the golf one had been coded to the car so we may as well get a replacement or we would have to get the right one coded in again wouldn't we?

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Worth a try with the Golf one as most if not all Passat etc CCMs will be underwater by now.It should be plug and play with the exception of the remote locking.

Chris.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts