Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to owning a VW and to this forum but i have been in the scene for a while, most of my friends own a VW of some sort and have always tried to get me to buy one, mostly just out of spite i said i never would, but i have and here she is.

Posted Image

I had before this a Fiat Punto GT, fast little car and loads of fun, always liked the VW scene and finally i can go to shows in my own car now, the look on my friends faces was priceless, i had kept it a secret from most of them, i just turned up in it last week, i will post a picture later of the little meet that resulted, had about 7 cars in the end, most of our local group.

Its a really nice car to drive, quite nimble for what feels like a big car.

Anyway hello, hopefully i will enjoy the stay.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum.My last car was a Punto Gt too(A few guys on here had them too before moving to a golf GTI).In terms of comfort and reliability the golf is miles ahead but as standard you will miss the power of the GT.

Have fun and save up for some power upgrades along the way [Y]

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum.My last car was a Punto Gt too(A few guys on here had them too before moving to a golf GTI).In terms of comfort and reliability the golf is miles ahead but as standard you will miss the power of the GT.

Have fun and save up for some power upgrades along the way [Y]
Yeh i had mine tested at 184hp, being that the Punto was much lighter and had 34hp more than the Golf yeh it does feel a little slow, still a great drive though and plenty of potential there, i'm quite keen on standard looks and more horsepower but i'm sure i will be tempted with some Audi 18s before long.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The golf will start to feel poker after a few miles in it.Sounds like you had a similar setup to mine power wise ,I had hybrid, fmic, chip, induction etc etc.Never got mine tested but it was bloody quick for what it was.Saw some pics of yours on Puntosports and it did look nice[Y]

Some alloys and a slight drop will make your Golf feel lots more sporty, and then go for a chip or remap..

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeh Puntosports member, I had the Seb4.1 setup, was a good machine, took me to the Nurburgring and back (17 hard laps to mind) without a problem, problem was it just felt like a boy car whilst the Golf is grown up and still good fun all at once, plus the ability to be tuned into a monster if I wish.

It feels pretty sporty as it is, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least, never driven a mk4 before, just went to have a look and liked it so i bought it.

I prefer the VW scene to most, the meets are really well supported and lots of good people there + mods are normally tastefull and minimalist (with some exceptions), the Punto whilst a good car suffered in a lesser way what the Saxo did, again not a bad car in itself but its owners went a bit over the top with the modifications especially bodykit wise.

All my Friends cannot believe it, they are really big VW fans, I have been to loads of shows and meets in the past with mates with punto at home, now i can take my own car. Its all good.

Almost bought a Fiat Coupe,almost.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Totally agree with your comments on the Punto there.And yes the golf is more grown up,I too almost bought a fiat coupe but after owning an Uno Turbo and a Punto turbo 2 fiats was my limit.Wanted something i could drive without having to check oil and water everyday.In the 3.5 years ive had the golf ive never had to top up any of the fluids between services,never suffered any overheating problems and am totally happy with the way the car has served me.Hopefully it will continue to be a pleasure if and when i decide to up the power.You wont be disappointed at all im sure [:D]

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Totally agree with your comments on the Punto there.And yes the golf is more grown up,I too almost bought a fiat coupe but after owning an Uno Turbo and a Punto turbo 2 fiats was my limit.Wanted something i could drive without having to check oil and water everyday.In the 3.5 years ive had the golf ive never had to top up any of the fluids between services,never suffered any overheating problems and am totally happy with the way the car has served me.Hopefully it will continue to be a pleasure if and when i decide to up the power.You wont be disappointed at all im sure [:D]
We have all got to grow up sometime hey :)

I had the Punto from 33k to 74k, it was a very reliable car all in all, the Golf however has done 93k but is mint and drives like new with all the history there, we shall see how reliable it is but i expect it will be fine, the Fiat Coupe is probably one of the few modern Fiats which holds its value ok, great car, it is a bit expensive for what you get though, the plus version is the one to have and they still go for almost 10 grand, one off my few non VW owning friends (not many of them) has just bought a normal 16v turbo one so i would only be getting the same as him. I checked about the prices of the Golfs and they were pretty reasonable which is odd for VW.

So here i am, in Golf owning land.

My mates have

R32

Mak4 Ani TD

Corrado Turbo

4 16v mk2s

1 mk1 project

Mk2 Rallye

mk3 colour concept

VAG Ibiza

mk5 gti

and mine now, quite a line up, you can see with the Fiat i was fighting a losing battle.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well we had a little meet last week, well actually they were preparing for GTI International so i thought i would shock them by turning up with my new car, there is the bonnet of a red 16v mk2 in the bottom of the picture and a mk3 almost out of shot too, not our full s election there but a few, not bad for a wednesday night. There is a Rallye and a Corrado Turbo in there somewhere.

Posted Image

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good work Timbo! Well done on the golf! Im also a newbie on here as i joined mainly to search for info regarding mk4's for timmy!! Im one of Timmys mates. As you may guess i have the 2l rallye an a gti. We are expecting good things from timbo![:D]

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeh colour wise pictures do not do it justice, it was only when i turned up to have a look at it i thought this is nice i got to have it, really nice paint to see in the sunshine.

Wanted black or silver but the green sets it apart from the rest.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have been busy but not anything obvious, mostly getting paintwork up together, mirror covers repainted, bumper strips, bottom of one door and rear quarter also repainted, the bodywork is mint now, it was tidy before but now its near perfect, only obvious thing i have done is this, i think it makes it look a bit more purposefull but not ott, a genuine vw spoiler no less

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have had a few problems though, maff sensor and n75 valve packed up. £120 to replace.

Overall though loving the veedub and she is a bit more pokey now she is running right.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.