Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya,

This place is great. I am a complete newbie! Just got my first golf which is also the first car in my name!

1.9 Golf TDI Match Diesel in black :)

A few teething problems to come I'm sure.. I know very little about cars but I'm quite inquisitive and am keen to learn what I can to look after my new wheels. So I'll probably be bugging people here from time to time.

So far managed to fix the broken central locking to the boot after some rummaging in the tailgate rubbers to discover some very frayed wires!

Got a couple of niggles putting the golf into third but otherwise I -LOVE- my new car.

B

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks for the welcome all! Just bought myself a Haynes manual to go with the car, it's getting serious! I'm from near Skipton.

B

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! Sounds like you have already managed to fix a common MKIV fault (central locking) well done you!! Although we do want some pics of your car!! Any plans in terms of modding or are you keeping it standard??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah I really am very new to everything so at the moment I'm just wanting to get it all running nice and smoothly and get the tattier bits on the interior up to scratch. I've not got bags of money to spend on it but as it's my first car I want it to feel like my own! So far I've changed the tax disc holder and added an air freshener.. not sure they count as mods! Maybe I'll get sucked into the whole modding world if I stick around here. I am keen to understand a bit more about the mechanics of it and feel like I don't have to run off to the garage at the smallest issue. Will get pics once this snow's melted but at the moment I am onto a losing battle with keeping it clean in this weather.. snow roads are the filthiest!

B

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome to the forum, there is a VW car show at the Elsecar heritage centre in south Yorkshire tomorrow, might give you some ideas for your own car

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No pics as yet, I want to clean my alloys up before I post them, they were quite badly corroded when I got them so it'd be nice to show it off once that's done.

Bad news today though, came accross what I thought was a paper bag in the middle of the road but turned out to be a rock. Oil everywhere. I imagine I'll need a sump and perhaps a new front tyre as I think it hit the tyre and bounced off. Not good! Hope that's all the damage, fingers crossed when I hear back from the garage tomorrow!

B

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
[quote user="beth"]

No pics as yet, I want to clean my alloys up before I post them, they were quite badly corroded when I got them so it'd be nice to show it off once that's done.

Bad news today though, came accross what I thought was a paper bag in the middle of the road but turned out to be a rock. Oil everywhere. I imagine I'll need a sump and perhaps a new front tyre as I think it hit the tyre and bounced off. Not good! Hope that's all the damage, fingers crossed when I hear back from the garage tomorrow!

B

[/quote]

ohhhhhh , really bad news

·
Northern Tom
3,768 Posts
Welcome! Not too far away.
Ah sump is common damage out in the sticks, especially on TDIs where they hang lower. Hope you stopped straight away!
Maybe your first mod could be engine raisers or a shallow sump

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.